Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen refill in Southwest London/Southern England

I ask the question because I have a BOC account for my welding gear.
I have no need for oxygen for aviation but wondered if perhaps I might be of some use to those that do.

Forever learning
EGTB

My O2 cylinder is also on a BOC welding gas account. It is the same gas as any other O2. Only the paperwork differs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Correct me if I am wrong from those who know more [and it may be tosh], but I was told that aviation oxygen had a guaranteed very low moisture content, so that the moisture would not become water then freeze and block narrow pipes in cold (-50C) conditions, and that not the same requirement applies for welding O2.

EGGD Bristol, United Kingdom

DA40drvr wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong

Oxygen is oxygen is oxygen

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

These are the specifications:

• welding oxygen: min 99.5%, max 40ppm water content. (DIN EN ISO 14175:2009), used to be up to 200 ppm in Europe (EN 439:1994)
  • Aviation oxygen: min 99.5%, max 7ppm water content (AS8010C)

The specifications are also different in what is allowed to be in the 0.5%.

In practice, all oxygen is produced using the same proces – cryogenic separation – and stored as liquid oxygen, which means there is virtually NO water present, and delivered with 99.9% or better purity, but of course water (and other stuff) can be reintroduced in the filling process.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 17 Dec 20:56
Biggin Hill

The main oxygen thread is here and this post should be applicable.

The gas in the cylinder is actually the same. The same process is used and the % of water is miniscule, because by the time you distilled out the nitrogen, oxygen, etc, there will be no water whatsoever left other than contamination in the metalwork.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message