Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EHS or RVSM?

EHS is currently mandated in designated airspace of France, Germany, the United Kingdom and the Czech Republic. EHS is also mandated above FL 245 in the airspace of Belgium and the Netherlands (within airspace delegate to MUAC).

The current EASA-wide deadline is 7th June 2020.

That is why a country by country exemption may be OK at the moment, but will be impossible by 2020.

I think.

Last Edited by Timothy at 07 Jan 23:28
EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

In a nutshell, EHS is possible if we fit one autopilot, and RVSM if we fit another. It is a question of finding a combination that will do both.

I can see why the autopilot is relevant to RVSM, but why is it relevant to EHS? There is no requirement of actually using an AP (or FD) outside RVSM airspace, is there?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This is getting beyond my pay grade but I think it has to do with Altitude pre-select.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Airborne_Again wrote:

I can see why the autopilot is relevant to RVSM, but why is it relevant to EHS? There is no requirement of actually using an AP (or FD) outside RVSM airspace, is there?

The transponder has to report the altitude preselect. Presumably it is about which autopilot is compatible with the transponders.

EGTK Oxford

Correct. Altitude Preselect is an important element of ATC conflict identification and resolution tools.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

@wigglyamp I have already been talking to Andy and Shaun about this aircraft. If you can come up with a solution that gives us a future proofed RVSM and EHS on a 695A it might well tip the work to be done in Fairoaks instead of US.

Unless they come up with a solution in the meantime, of course.

I’m assisting with this enquiry based on the recently received communication. Therefore I’ll avoid going into specifics on here for commercial reasons.
I can say that currently, the only available RVSM solution is not EASA approved.

The UK EHS requirements came into force on 31 March 2007 and can be found in UK AIC 27/2007 (Yellow 238). At the time we were heavily involved with KingAirs, CJ1s and PA42s and had quite a few STCs approved with minimal DAPS and the operators gained the necessary exemptions. It will be interesting to see if these aircraft are now required to become compliant. For many it’ll require a major upgrade (such as a G1000 in an older KingAir).

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

wigglyamp wrote:

I can say that currently, the only available RVSM solution is not EASA approved.

That should not be an issue as this aircraft will remain on the N.

EGKB Biggin Hill
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message