Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

NAV/COM radio recommendations for 8.33

Peter wrote:

Just my POV; I can see why everybody goes for Garmin.

Garmin is clearly in a de facto monopoly on certified NAVCOMs today.
I don’t think people like it, but they don’t have a choice.
If Trig could have issued a NAVCOM before the 8,33 mandate, it would have been a huge success.

LFOU, France

Ok thank you peter I missed the « A » subtility.
Sorry

LFPE

I’ve no idea if there is any truth in this but one rumour is that Trig have a Nav/Com that is the same size as the current TY96 however they are not bringing it to market as they have a stack of TY96’s that they need to shift first.

The KX155A/165A are backward compatible for the 155/165 in 28V installations subject to checking a couple of specific wiring functions shown in section 2.3 of the install manual: Kx155a_pdf

Whilst the connectors may look different (more terminals on the lower connector of the A models) there is a cutout in the pcb to allow it to fit around the shorter rack connectors of the older units.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Many thanks for that info wigglyamp.

I was told by numerous installers that it is a “complete rewire of the entire tray connector(s)”. I should have checked the IM…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does this mean that a KX165A could be a slide in replacement for a KX155 subjecting to checking some wiring?

Have I understood that correctly?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter wrote:

The KX165A switches from 25 to 8.33 with just a pull of the knob. It is totally effortless; no reconfig anywhere. I am amazed that not everybody is using the same system.

I’m amazed too. This is so simple, yet so effective. Trig has done the same with the COM radios and it works very nicely.
I’m also perplexed why Garmin didn’t take advantage of the 0-9 numeric keypad, as featured on their transponders.

Both of these seem like ideal solutions.

Bathman wrote:

I’ve no idea if there is any truth in this but one rumour is that Trig have a Nav/Com that is the same size as the current TY96 however they are not bringing it to market as they have a stack of TY96’s that they need to shift first.

I can believe that might well be true. I could be imagining it, but I think I even saw a Trig NAV/COM posted somewhere as “coming in 2018”. It might have been on Trig’s own site or perhaps Harry Mendelssohn’s – but there is no sign of it now.

EGTT, The London FIR

Finners wrote:

I’m also perplexed why Garmin didn’t take advantage of the 0-9 numeric keypad, as featured on their transponders.

Avidyne seems to be about the only one who did it in GA. On the IFD series, you can either type the frequency on the touchscreen, or use a small Bluetooth-connected keyboard with hardware buttons.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I have to say I do like the way you can switch between 25 and 8.33 on the Trig TY96.

sorry Peter to correct you,
But the kx165A is a slide in replacement for the old kx155 or 165 28V only . ( don this muliple times )
the only thing is that you don’t have is lighted knobs
Yes , the “new” kx165A (and the kx155a) does have a wider main connecter then the old kx155/165 but there is a interruption in the connector on the back of the “A” model to fit the old (smaller) connector

Last Edited by Jetprop at 28 Jan 20:10
Sign in to add your message