Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

NAV/COM radio recommendations for 8.33

Yes; wigglyamp posted that higher up. I didn’t know that. It’s a useful option, especially if you can use an overhauled KX165A/8.33.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ultranomad wrote:

Avidyne seems to be about the only one who did it in GA. On the IFD series, you can either type the frequency on the touchscreen, or use a small Bluetooth-connected keyboard with hardware buttons.

On the GTN series, you can also type the frequency on the touchscreen.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

sorry , I didn’t saw the postings after #20 , my mistake (isn’t the first time) SORRY !!

Last Edited by Jetprop at 28 Jan 23:22

dublinpilot wrote:

Does this mean that a KX165A could be a slide in replacement for a KX155 subjecting to checking some wiring?
Have I understood that correctly?

You need to change the plate conn and the 25 pin conector. The wiring: you have to conect the pin 25 to voltage ( 0 up to 28V)for the buttons lighting. If you have installed the kma24H (audio box) you have to install a 1N4007 diode in other pin. Now I dont remember but if you are interested I can see you.

Is easy change it

Muchamiel, Alicante (Spain), Spain

The lighted knobs is the pin 25. (0 to 28V regulable) If you have installed a kma24h (bell 407) you have to install a diode in other pin that now i don´t remember. But i can see it and the part numbers of the plate conn and the longer connector that we have to change.

Welcome to EuroGA, landete and thanks for that info.

Administrator

I have a problem with the new radio kx165A with PN: 069-01033-0201 (8.33Khz)

The problem is that when i transmit with the com #1 in any frequency the other radio kx165A (com #2) open the squelch and I have a noise. I change the frequencies and do the same.

The config sqns and sqns8 are to 5 (0 to 255) value and I have the same problem. These radios are very sensible and i don´t know how solution the problem.

You know…. press chan mode for 8-12seconds, and press again one time. and you are into the install mode. software versión….etc

Can you help me???

Thanks

The person here with knowledge of this kit is @wigglyamp

However, as I see, it, if a transmission on one radio opens the squelch on the other radio, that should not matter because the other radio’s audio output is not selected on the intercom (audio panel).

Administrator

landete wrote:

The problem is that when i transmit with the com #1 in any frequency the other radio kx165A (com #2) open the squelch and I have a noise. I change the frequencies and do the same.

It would seem to be a problem with your installation. There is a function of the KX165A to prevent this from happening. If this wasn’t properly wired when your new radio was installed, you would get this problem. I quote from the installation manual:

TRANSMIT INTERLOCK
The KX 155A/165A includes a TRANSMIT INTERLOCK (P155A1-J/165A1-J) input which should be connected to the MIC KEY input of the other COMM transceiver in the aircraft. When this input is grounded, the KX 155A/165A desensitizes its receiver by approximately 13 dB, reducing the likelihood of its squelch breaking while another COMM in the aircraft is transmitting. It is highly recommended to use this feature on all COMMs in the aircraft which include such an interlock feature. If TRANSMIT INTERLOCK is used in installations that employ a KX155A/165A with a KMA26 (or other audio panel that pulls the MIC KEY line above 11 Volts), isolation diodes will need to be installed between P155A1/165A1, pin J and the MIC KEY line. Refer to Installation Bulletin 407 for details.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 29 Mar 10:02
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Airborne_Again

29-Mar-18 10:02

landete wrote:
It would seem to be a problem with your installation. There is a function of the KX165A to prevent this from happening. If this wasn’t properly wired when your new radio was installed, you would get this problem. I quote from the installation manual:
TRANSMIT INTERLOCK
The KX 155A/165A includes a TRANSMIT INTERLOCK (P155A1-J/165A1-J) input which should be connected to the MIC KEY input of the other COMM transceiver in the aircraft. When this input is grounded, the KX 155A/165A desensitizes its receiver by approximately 13 dB, reducing the likelihood of its squelch breaking while another COMM in the aircraft is transmitting. It is highly recommended to use this feature on all COMMs in the aircraft which include such an interlock feature. If TRANSMIT INTERLOCK is used in installations that employ a KX155A/165A with a KMA26 (or other audio panel that pulls the MIC KEY line above 11 Volts), isolation diodes will need to be installed between P155A1/165A1, pin J and the MIC KEY line

In bell 407 i install the diode for kma24h but on agusta a109e are installed GEMELLI audio control panel and it´s no neccesary the diode. I have to see the interlock wiring and test it.

Thanks

Sign in to add your message