Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Maintenance for G reg ELA2

10 Posts

Hello,
I am looking for some understanding for a G reg ELA2 aircraft

My friend is about to buy a c182 on g reg (and he wants to keep it on g reg) plane will be based in germany and also maintainance will be done at his local 145 facility

just looking at the CAA side and there is no more “LAMP” ! they site is refering to the “Self-Declared Maintenance Programme (SDMP).” but this is for ELA1

what would be the best way to do it? would like to avoid CAMO (for cost reason and paper work work order etc) next renewal of ARC is due in July 2018

thank allready now for hints

fly2000

I thought that the regulations state that G-registered ELA2 aircraft can still use the CAA LAMP.

However, I have an approved Alternative Maintenance Programme (AMP) for my aircraft which is pragmatically based on a combination of LAMP and the Piper Service Manual. I had an EASA Part-145 company create the AMP and get it approved by the CAA, all at modest cost.

I am the CAMO and have found keeping on top of the aircraft records, ADs and SBs to be quite interesting. Prior to any maintenance work being done I discuss everything with the maintenance organisation and provide my component compliance statement. So far, this arrangement has worked very well.

EGTT, The London FIR

CAP 1454 says

Phase out of LAMP
LAMP for both aeroplanes and helicopters has been removed from the CAA website and is no longer available. All aircraft currently using LAMP may continue until the transition
deadlines. The transition from LAMP is being undertaken in two phases

Aircraft with MTOM of 1200 kg or more but less than 2730 kg Helicopters below 1200 kg and up to 4 occupants These aircraft have the option to move to a SDMP with the
introduction of Part-M Light (Part-ML) (expected during 2017)

There is no forecast implementation date for Part-ML although it is expected during 2017 (that is still wishful thinking)

fly2000

What would be the process for a > 1200kg G-reg if one wanted to completely avoid using a company and just use a freelance EASA66 engineer?

This

I am the CAMO and have found keeping on top of the aircraft records, ADs and SBs to be quite interesting. Prior to any maintenance work being done I discuss everything with the maintenance organisation and provide my component compliance statement. So far, this arrangement has worked very well.

doesn’t avoid interacting with a company, hence I wonder what avoiding a CAMO in this way gets you.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mainly peace of mind, but avoiding a professional CAMO saves me about £700/year. There isn’t £700 worth of work involved.

I am free to move between maintenance organisations as much as I choose because I am not locked into their CAMO. I keep all the aircraft documents, the only time the maintenance organisation gets hold of them is to stamp the Release to Service.

Edited to add: I agree that it is nowhere near as advantageous as the FAA regime.

Last Edited by Finners at 24 Feb 18:46
EGTT, The London FIR

Somebody has to do the CAMO’s job – here is what an FAA A&P does. For sure some CAMOs overcharge massively (some posts here mention figured into 4 figures; Switzerland was the worst I recall) but the real advantage of going totally freelance is that the guy doing the work is working purely for you and not for some company. This potentially greatly affects the buck-stopping mechanism That is also why the maintenance business doesn’t want this. It will come eventually but you will still need a hangar where work is permitted.

Administrator

You are absolutely correct, the CAMO work still need to be done, but there’s really not that much to it. It usually only takes me a few minutes per month to keep the documentation up to date. When ADs or SBs are issued (aircraft, engine, prop, avionics, fire extinguisher <— yes, really) it may take a little more to determine what needs to be done and by when, but it’s not complicated. As an owner, I read those documents anyway, so what’s the point in paying someone else when I’m already doing it?

EGTT, The London FIR

As an owner, I read those documents anyway,

That’s pretty rare

The big Q is how far a pro-active owner like you can go with a G-reg. It doesn’t sound like there is a route to go fully freelance, even if the CAMO can be avoided in the technical sense.

Administrator

I’m a licensed part 66 engineer. I was looking at buying a C of A aircraft last year. As a licensed engineer with the correct ratings, the CAA will allow me to revalidate an ARC for a two year period at a cost of £1000. At the 3rd year the ARC had to be done by a CAMO. I contacted a local CAMO my who said they would look after the aircraft I was thinking of buying for £400 a year. Still a fair bit for doing not a great deal. But cheaper than I could have done it myself and I don’t have to do the AD searches. Raise a workpack or fill out all those dull forms. Bargain.

Near Luton

can someone point me to a workshop in the uk that could do our CAMO (only) work would be done in Germany
looking for a “budget” price also for all workorders that they dont charge the famous arm and a leg lol!

fly2000
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message