Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KLN94 database update, and the future of the KLN94 database support

I regularly update my KLN94. I use the SDDR31 compactflash writer – here.

It works fine under win7-64.

Curiously somebody who used to be on here contacted me yesterday, after buying a C182 with the KLN94+KMD550. I pointed him to the link above.

The KMD550 is still supported too but HBK are running very low on the 20MB linear flash modules. This problem prob99 came about because it was obvious they had no means – for customers who were ordering physical media – of tracking who returned a flash cartridge and who didn’t.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is there anyone here who updates their KLN94 using the RS232 connection?

This uses the 3.5mm 4-pole jack on the front of the KLN94. This is also duplicated on a connector on the back of the KLN94 and some installations bring that out on some other connector in tbe panel.

I would like to develop a cable which comes out on the 3.5mm jack plug. I could test it myself but I don’t currently use the database updater in that mode so it may not work for some other reason.

The cable looks like this

and this page from the KLN94 IM shows the RS232 connections

Administrator

Here is a video on the PC link route

…and the cable is available at Amazon presumably you then need an adaptor for a modern PC as @Peter suggests

https://www.amazon.com/Wirenest-Bendix-Update-replacement-050-03612-0000/dp/B01CC5DBD8

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Good timing.

I have just this minute heard from a pilot in the US that he successfully updated his KLN94 using an adaptor cable (which I made up) connected to one of my firm’s products which is an isolated USB to RS232 converter.

The Amazon one in Robert’s post above is possibly identical to the one I made up, and is quite pricey with the shipping added. Used alone, it would need a very old laptop because anything made in roughly the last 10 years doesn’t have RS232 anymore, and a lot of the chinese USB-RS232 converters don’t work in this application for reasons nobody can establish. That $32 cable is made in China for maybe $1.

I wonder how many KLN94s are still flying. I might be tempted to get a batch of say 1k of these cables made and sell them for a few quid. The isolated USB-RS232 converter is here and is £49. It may also work with that Amazon cable.

Administrator

@Peter we are a select minority :)

Might you identify what is needed for say a recent HP or two year old Toshiba PC? I would certainly buy a kit.

For a one off it would be best for you to get that Amazon cable, unfortunately. If I can see some demand (probably in the US mostly) then I will get a batch of the cables made.

A pity about the ripoff pricing on shipping to the UK…

Administrator

Would the amazon combo work on recent PCs?

It might, or might not That converter is surprisingly pricey for a non isolated one. They are about $5 from China.

Administrator

Can anyone offer an opinion on how long the KLN94 will be supported with database updates?

I reckon that thousands are still flying, and at $400+/year this is clearly a valuable business, plus HBK are not exactly selling a load of hardware these days, with everything they have brought out having been – as far as anyone can establish – a total failure in the market.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Can anyone offer an opinion on how long the KLN94 will be supported with database updates?

I reckon that thousands are still flying, and at $400+/year this is clearly a valuable business, plus HBK are not exactly selling a load of hardware these days, with everything they have brought out having been – as far as anyone can establish – a total failure in the market.

I’d expect the devices to be disappearing quicker than before due to Garmin’s GPS 175 being now available… Same height, farely cheap, better functionality.
For those who can afford it and has got a KLN 94 + KX155/165A next to each other, they can replace both with GTN 650.
It will be a pain to install the new cables and antennae…
I think that as soon as the device count goes down to some lower number, HBK will stop supporting it as it requires testing the new data with the device, some liability insurance etc. If it is $400/year, when the amount of customers paying for the updates goes below a couple of thousand devices, HBK will probly announce the end of updates date.

Am I missing something?

EGTR
Sign in to add your message