Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KLN94 database update, and the future of the KLN94 database support

Peter I believe is the source on this, but what is the most practical and economic form of updating an IFR database for the KL94?

I sent my second hand unit for a new internal battery and update and was a bit surprised at the cost.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

A supplemental question is understanding what supporting paperwork is required for the local avionics shop to produce the necessary POH supplement to make the unit IFR legal.

When we still had it in the TB20 I fly I remember we would get the data (can’t remember from where) in a CD ROM I believe.
We were then using an ancient laptop with the Windows version that was compatible with it, I think it was Windows XP.
We had changed the BIOS settings to detect the disk drive for boot disk.
The special cable was connected from laptop’s serial connector to the female plug in the aircraft.
The disk was then used as a boot disk by starting up the laptop and once detected it would autorun the process.
One of the worries was to have a healthy battery in the laptop so as not to interrupt the process in the middle.
To bypass this I remember we used to use a device (however they’re called) that converted the car’s 12V (parked next to the aircraft) to 220V and with a female-male set up with this we were plugging the laptop to that device as you would do with a conventional 220V plug at home.
Tricky setup but it was working !

LGMG Megara, Greece

The best way is the SDDR31 CF writer and buy the download subscription for about 400 usd.

It is much better to have two of the cards so you can program one at home and just swap. But the cards are rare.

BTW does anyone have a kln94 firmware file? It is kln94ap.bin. The last version is probably 10 years old now.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

petakas wrote:

we used to use a device (however they’re called) that converted the car’s 12V (parked next to the aircraft) to 220V

It’s called an inverter. Automotive/truck shops should have them.

ELLX

@RobertL18C sorry this Q was missed.

A supplemental question is understanding what supporting paperwork is required for the local avionics shop to produce the necessary POH supplement to make the unit IFR legal.

It is as per the AFMS. The Big Q is how do you get the AFMS?

This covers the N-reg scene and as you can see it is not trivial to do if you are based in Europe.

For an EASA-reg, I recall old posts here and more so here although the next post (about autopilot connection) was never answered. These suggest that some level of “IFR” may be possible with an EASA Minor Change. PRNAV or LPV need an STC but the KLN94 doesn’t do those anyway. @GarryIAE may know…

Administrator

As Peter stated, it is possible to get the KLN 94 BRNav approved but that would require an EASA Minor Change for European Registered aircraft, if it is a factory fit then it should have come with a flight manual supplement and that should clear you for BRNav use.

Again, as Peter stated you cannot get the KLN 94 approved for PRNav or LPV

EGTC, United Kingdom

if it is a factory fit then it should have come with a flight manual supplement and that should clear you for BRNav use.

Indeed, as mine did, with a DGAC AFMS for the original aircraft, but it didn’t authorise GPS approaches of any sort. To be fair, in 2002 there weren’t many in Europe…. but also Socata would have followed the path of least resistance to sell their planes, and US dealers did local field approvals for the GPS approaches, for the customers who were clued-up enough to ask.

Given the era in question, it’s going to be hard to find an AFMS for a KLN94 which authorises GPS approaches. That is why I did it myself with the FAA Field Approval, but for an EASA-reg, would a Minor Change deliver LNAV approaches? Based on previously linked posts it should.

The enabling of “IFR” (which gives you the LNAV approaches) in the KLN94 is a trivial matter and is not related to any of this

What about the autopilot connection? Can that be included in the Minor Change too?

Administrator

Thank you – BTW I love the KLN94 and it works nicely with my STEC 20 – unfortunately the Warrior tries to earn it’s keep as it is leased to an ATO. In theory am getting my paperwork for approval IFR, but not yet in hand.

If my next project materialises will buy another 2nd hand KLN94.

https://aerospace.honeywell.com/api/aerofsscms.svc/document?itemid=%7BEC229843-89CC-4858-9BCB-40D320C015B8%7D

local copy

This link seems to have a good description of the PC based download option – I wonder how many of these elements still exist.

30 Posts
Sign in to add your message