Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KLN94 database update, and the future of the KLN94 database support

A lot of KLN94s are installed together with a KMD550 MFD – for reasons which are obvious when you look at the “map” page of the KLN94

And it is not known whether the GPS175 will drive the KMD550. In years past, a number of people installed a GNS430/W in place of a KLN94, and found the KMD550 didn’t work in the OBS mode. More e.g. here and perhaps @wigglyamp might remember something. This is the situation which forces KLN owners to rip everything out and spend a load of money or, as in my case right now, do nothing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

OK, so the only way then is to remove KLN+KMD+KX and install GTN 750…
You are right, if you are not flying LPVs, then what’s the point? Unless the h/w is no longer supported by the Nav data provider.

EGTR

Or IFD540/550.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Or IFD540/550.

… which will also show you ADLxxx weather on the screen, right?
And the same remote XPDR control as GTN, etc.
Remote flight plan upload… Even a separate wireless keyboard can be connected! :)

IFD 550 IIIRC gives you an extra backup AI. Although, how many you’ve already got (primary and backup)? 2, 3, 4?

EGTR

I’ve been maintaining two computers, each with its SDDR31 USB – CF writer, for updating the databases. Both win7-64.

One of them has just stopped working. I managed to install the “latest win7 compatible” software on an old Thinkpad X230 laptop running winXP and it worked, after a bit of messing about. So I am back to two computers…

I tried it under a winXP VM (VMWARE) which runs everything “old”, but no luck. The VM OS detects the writer and installs drivers for it, but the King executable says it can’t find it.

What are others doing about this? I think some people are using the direct download cable but that needs aircraft ground power.

I don’t really want to face 2×IFD540; I don’t even know of a UK avionics shop which could do it (correctly interfacing to the 2xSN3500 etc).

Administrator

KLN90B I use latest windows version with USB cable no problems at all. Now I do it mostly in the aircraft with external power. In past with a docking station…..

EBST

@Peter: the best functionality I still have is to run the Update from the CF Card and Update the Card from the data loader program Running on an old W98 prepared Laptop. I have a loader cable too, but prefer the Card Exchange. The Last used cards i have Seen on Ebay were sold by Stefan W. (RIP)‘ s son…. I would perhaps buy a second Card in someone has to sell one

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

Yes; probably a winXP or earlier is the answer. I have a few winXP laptops kicking around, for stuff like hacked versions of VAG-COM

But it “should” also run in a VM, although not entirely surprising because VMs are full of trouble when it comes to accessing hardware. I find they are OK for running normal executables but the King CF writer has a hacked firmware to prevent it appearing as a windows storage device, so perhaps a VM fails to emulate that.

Administrator

However still a very good box, filling most of the needs in Europe flying if one knowd how to catch out all of its possibilities.
I’m still wondering when the solderd(?) lithium battery comes to an wnd after 6 years now. Does anybode know if one can change it DIY?

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

Yes; done that multiple times – here

On one unit, not mine, the battery ran down pretty fast and it turned out to be a duff TL082 or similar op-amp which they use for battery voltage sensing.

Administrator
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message