Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

iPad mounts (merged thread)

I have an iPad3 running SkyDemon. I think it’s about time I consigned my yoke mounted SkyMap IIIC to ebay and mounted the iPad running SkyDemon on the yoke of my Piper Arrow.

I’m scratching my head at the plethora of choice on RAM’s website. Do any of you users find the yoke mount acceptable for a large iPad and have you managed to hardwire in a power source for it? I have the SkyMap hardwired so was hoping this could be converted. I see RAM mention ’lightning" charger connectors; I think this is the narrow plug for the iPad4 where mine is the wide version? Do all mounts have a fixed charging facility?

Any help or experiences much appreciated.

I yoke mount a iPad 2 in an Arrow. I put it on the P2 yoke so that it doesn’t obscure the instruments etc (I find it a good way to get my passengers more involved in the flight). Only downsides for me are that getting the touch inputs right, at an angle in anything other than smooth air, is tricky and people have a tendency to move the screen without releasing the tension control (I’ve had a few RAM mounts snap at the ball joint).

As for external power, I haven’t got it connected, but a full charge easily exceeds my flight endurance. We’ve been down from Wellesbourne to La Rochelle on a single charge and there was plenty left after 3:30. Just to be sure I have a small external battery pack which I can use to recharge over lunch or to just provide power in the plane. I tend to tuck it in the P2 footwell pocket. Not neat, but it works ok. The advantage of this is I can use either my iPad 2, or the more recent lightning connector ones (different RAM holder though as the sizes are different).

(Yes, the Lightning connectors are the more recent, small connectors.)

Ed
EGBW

Are you sure you want to mount a full-size iPad on the yoke in front of you? I’ve tried to position my iPad2 there (just holding it), and it would obscure too much of the instrument panel. For the time being mine lives on the kneeboard, which IMHO is also a good place for inputs. Will prob90 get an iPad mini this year for flying, should be yoke-mountable w/o too much panel obscuration.

+1 172Driver. I think SkyDemon on the iPad mini is ideal. It looks great and is so much less intrusive even in the P2 position.

Ed
EGBW

I looked at the Ipad Mini recently and nearly bought it because it is just the right size for Jepp terminal charts. But it can’t do half of the other stuff I need. Of course that won’t be so for someone running mainly one of the current IOS flight planning / GPS apps.

One thing I would say however is this: don’t underestimate the value of in-flight charging. Not having to lug the tablet into the hotel (etc) after every flight (otherwise it becomes useless for the next flight) is priceless. Also, if you find you need it for an emergency situation, you will be glad that it is fully charged when your alternator packs up…

The caveat to the above is that an Ipad is far more likely to shut down due to overheating if it is being charged during the flight.

In most planes, the full size Ipad cannot be mounted anywhere without obstructing something.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Would it be legal to install a “flypad” iPad panel mount https://www.flypadmount.com in a certified ELA1 aircraft in EASA land (German register) ?

It probably depends what you would want to use it for / what you would want to replace it with. If you can claim to use it only “to enhance situational awareness” then perhaps it could be done based on CS-STAN CS-SC052a. @Jesse and others will know better.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Thanks! The flypad would not replace any instrument, just fill in some empty space in my panel. The “enhance situational awareness” use case would probably be a good one since the flypad would would give me a convenient access to skydemon on my iPad

Someone here in avionics should know about the EASA position on handheld mounts which are wired into the aircraft.

On an N-reg, this is generally not allowed although there are documented cases where an FSDO inspector signed off a Field Approval for some Garmin handheld to be thus mounted. The general view of various observers is that he made a mistake (a rare mistake in the applicant’s favour ). I think the “illegality” is centred on neither the GPS nor – more importantly – the permanently mounted receptacle for it being TSOd or approved in any other way.

If you could get a TSOd mount then it should be easier; the GPS itself is removable. I see no reason why a mount alone could not be certified, although it would obviously be a p1sstake of the certification regs because everybody knows what will be stuck into it

One previous thread is here

I have never heard of any enforcement so really the risk is in two areas

• the aircraft will be declared as unairworthy post-crash, i.e. no insurance payout (a very theoretical chance)
  • an anally retarded maintenance company could refuse to issue an Annual, or even refuse to work on the plane at all (plenty of cases of this, some known to me personally, and the owner is usually over a barrel because it doesn’t come to light until his Annual has expired!)
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you can claim to use it only “to enhance situational awareness” then perhaps it could be done based on CS-STAN CS-SC052a.

It is in interesting topic. I would say it can be done, though with some limations and possible additional testing.
First of all, when you would use it as a moving map system you are limited to VFR day. e.g. you are not allowed to use it under IFR or night flights. Else you might need to require another approval.

Another issue which is often overlooked by some installers and customers is that a design still should be made. You should be able to prove that the installation is done in accordance with AC43-13 for example. The design should also have pilot instructions, and also look into safety. For example crash safety and fire safety. Does it meet the requirements of this. I can not find any refference on this on the manufacture website. So additional testing might be needed even before you can install it IAW CS-STAN.

Peter wrote:

On an N-reg, this is generally not allowed although there are documented cases where an FSDO inspector signed off a Field Approval for some Garmin handheld to be thus mounted.

Not sure on that, I would say their are many Air Gizmo docks in use under FAA also in certified aircraft? In the past I have applied for several approvals for panel mounts under EASA and Dutch national regulations and always got these approved. In some case we had to provide some additional testing (wasting a unit) to prove the unit is safe, as the manufacturer didn’t always do that.
If your FAA statement is correct this is again a point where EASA is more liberal then FAA.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
115 Posts
Sign in to add your message