Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne IFD versus Garmin GTN touch screen user interfaces

I don’t currently have either of these in my panel but have played with them in various situations, and found that the Avidyne implementation worked a lot better, especially for the finger gestures.

This stuff is software controlled so I would expect gradual improvements, however. Last time I had a good play with both was maybe 2 years ago.

Can anyone offer any feedback, especially comparative data?

The third option, Honeywell KSN770, I have not mentioned in the subject header because it appears to be another dead product, and its touch screen (I tried it at Aero Friedrichshafen c. 2016) was horrible and barely usable.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Although I agree that usability and UI in general are very important product features, isn’t it more important to be concerned about product’s roadmap, further development, customer support, etc.? I know that Garmin has it own flaws, ambiguities with STC ownership but it seems like better choice comparing to Avidyne. I know that we have similar thread on this topic but this always comes to my mind whenever discussing any Garmin vs. Avidyne product.

Last Edited by Emir at 25 Mar 10:39
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

If you just compare the touchscreen UIs it may well be a matter of personal preference, and the Avidyne may well come out on top.

However, operating a GTN and GMA without Garmin’s Telligence(R) voice commands is like using a PC without a mouse, or navigating with a sextant and nautical almanac. We used to do it, but why would we do it now?

Voice control reduces the need to touch or even look at these avionics boxes by roughly 50%, but if you’re going to Aero, why not try them and see what you think?

Incidentally, in case anyone from Garmin reads EuroGA posts, please may we have “SHOW USER FREQUENCIES PAGE” in the next Telligence software release? Or even, the ability to add some user-defined voice commands?

Last Edited by Jacko at 25 Mar 20:44
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Very limited experience so far, but the IFD’s UI is pretty intuitive – and accessible both via touchscreen and knobs, which is good when it gets bumpy. The Synthetic vision is also a nice feature. The graphics look a little better on Garmin, I would say. Feels like Garmin screen is slightly sharper.

I managed to get one of the first IFD550’s in the UK and have to say that it’s UI is excellent, especially as it has both buttons and touch screen. I have flown with Garmin 530 and 650’s recently and I still prefer the Avidyne. One problem though, SkyDemon does not connect to Avidyne over Bluetooth/Wifi which is a pain. I will probably go to Foreflight, which has it’s limitations for VFR in Europe (as I have read), but does connect to Avidyne.
IMO both the IFD and GTN’s are great and there is not much in it, but for me it’s Avidyne as I find there system architecture is better and easier to navigate.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Garmin have updated the GTN interface to add the usual multitouch gestures.

EGTF, LFTF

One GTN owner told me that Garmin have caught up with Avidyne on the touch screen operation. Can anyone offer a view on this? I don’t know of any Garmin signups but @avijake and @steveavidyne are “around” out there somewhere

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I recently sold my G430/530 combo and ordered an IFD540/440 combo. I have also evlauated the option of the GTNs, but the costs of the complicated installation process, and the downtime of the TB, I have selected the Avidyne. I have played a lot with the simulator during my flight on the "bigBird, simulating the position and and the speed of the 747 in the application flying the same route in my navigator.
I placed the order on Avidyne.

Finally, i have received the units, installed and programmed in an hour+ the paperwork. System tested, released and went home with happy face. The next day, on the flight test day, i faced to a different IFD540 with blank white screen, garbled symbols on the display and some other funny stuff. All function worked, but something happend with the display control. Suddenly all gone, looked ok. Since the IFD 440 worked perfectly, we took off, for flying. The unit itself is very good. The provided keyboard is a big fun, makes the things more felxible, but needs extra learning. All aricraft options worked well like the Shadin and the WX500.

After the flight, the display problems tarted again, so Avidyne was notified and immediately, arranged the replacement from Florida. At this time, the replacement IFD550 unit is on its way to Budapest, expecting in 2-3 days…..
Beside this fiasko with the display, happy about the Avidyne.

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

Hm… packed on the first flight :( Not so good recommendation – pretty much consistent to what people think when comparing Avidyne to Garmin.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I guess something happened during the delivety. The good thing is, that Avidyne responded immediately. Let’s see what the second chance will bring.

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message