Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Honeywell / Bendix King KI300 (KI256 replacement)

From here

I saw the KI300 at Aero 2016.

It looks very nice, and contains an internal battery which meets the certification requirement (for totally removing the vacuum system) but at about $7k is too expensive except for people who don’t want to re-do their panel. Most people in the piston GA market will go for an Aspen.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just read that the KI300 doesn’t actually exist currently. Honeywell are talking Feb 2017 at the earliest. More vapourware from Honeywell, as usual…

Administrator

Just read that someone in the USA was told the KI300 is on hold and with no release date set… Oh well…

Administrator

I’ve been playing with a KI300 today. Honeywell now expect to complete certification and start shipping during May this year.
The associated KA310 autopilot interface will be certified under an FAA AML STC for the many aircraft that used the KI256. No dates currently for EASA validation of course – they need FAA approval first.

Avionics geek.
Fairoaks. EGTF

That sounds positive.

I see nothing on google under KA310 or KI310. What is it?

Administrator

The KA310 is a digital to analogue converter and takes the serial attitude data from the KI300 and outputs appropriate pitch and roll signals to the autopilot. If also takes analogue flight director data from the autopilot and sends it in digital back to the KI300 for the FD bars to display. So the KI300 isn’t a plug and play replacement for the KI256, as an additional box has to be installed plus the associated wiring.
The KI300 can also generate the test roll and pitch signals for autopilot stabilisation without having to be removed and put on a tilt table, so that will make setting up the autopilot much easier.

Avionics geek.
Fairoaks. EGTF

I merged two threads on the KI300.

(the above is the only real-life pic I could find online!)

It’s good news because over a year ago HBK were telling people the product was abandoned.

The KI300 can also generate the test roll and pitch signals for autopilot stabilisation without having to be removed and put on a tilt table, so that will make setting up the autopilot much easier.

What I found is that with a Mod 11 KI256 unit, the need to mess with the autopilot upon changing out the KI256 is eliminated – or almost so… But you still have to do it initially, for any newly installed KC225 or whatever autopilot computer.

Administrator

This has appeared on some US sites recently:

KI300. Surprise, shipping delayed until April 2018 due to software changes to handle turbulence better. Approximate price for the model to replace our KI256 in a two axis KFC200 autopilot system will be about $6500. It will actually be two boxes. The display includes the backup battery and has a 9 pin connector and connections for pitot and static lines. The second box connects to the indicator via the 9 pin connector. The other end of that box connects to the KFC200 and GPS navigator. He estimates less than a day to install.

Administrator

I wouldn’t touch B/K product with 311ft barge pole. Honeywell will get out of that whole thing soon and leave a mess behind. Huge corporations don’t have great track record with these things when they decide enough is enough – they just shutter and close it, rather than sell it on to someone who might care. And just destroy the tooling just so nobody can get any ideas.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 31 Mar 03:16

I have to agree but this is a rather standalone box. If it fails, and you cannot get it fixed, you just put in another old KI256. They pop up on the market in a working condition for a few hundred $ now. And a number of shops can fix them… not well but well enough… no paperwork. The only issue is that you will have to put the old vacuum pump back in

I also think there is a market opportunity for someone to develop an “uncertified” box which replaces the KI256. It’s not difficult. You just need an AHRS and some electronics around it, and the box can go anywhere. You don’t need the actual instrument in the panel (there are plenty of AIs out there). It’s just very hard to do a certified one. One would probably sell a few k of a box like that.

Administrator
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message