Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aspen E5 - another non-TSO but STCd product

Under $5k apparently.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

New processor, higher res display and new software. No requirements for back-up instruments for VFR. Includes certified back-up battery ( the previous battery couldn’t be approved for the mandatory required time).

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 29 Mar 18:14
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

… no HSI .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

This US AOPA article doesn’t say what the certification tradeoff was but it could well be the “basically VFR” approach which facilitated it. OTOH I don’t think many people fly with the HSI presentation these days; most just engage the autopilot The HSI presentation is useful for intercepting and flying an ILS but you don’t really need it; it is one of the many very dated paradigms from the 1950s when “IFR” was being developed and all kinds of curious instruments came out.

Administrator

I don’t see any reason why it should be “VFR only”, but suspect that the STC AML (wherever it is hiding) is currently rather short. Still, it’s an interesting response to the “Dynon certified” and Garmin G5 products.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Still, it’s an interesting response to the “Dynon certified” and Garmin G5 products.

In my opinion it is a very lame response to Garmin’s G5. Ditto for the Dynon Certified although not enough models on their AML list just yet.

Aspen is going to get their butt kicked unless they have something far more interesting to pull out of their hat, pronto.

Last Edited by Michael at 31 Mar 07:19
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Peter wrote:

The HSI presentation is useful for intercepting and flying an ILS but you don’t really need it; it is one of the many very dated paradigms from the 1950s when “IFR” was being developed and all kinds of curious instruments came out.

Whilst that may be true, pilot owners flying behind NSD360s & KI256s are NOT going to accept anything less.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

Aspen is going to get their butt kicked unless they have something far more interesting to pull out of their hat, pronto

Looking at the add, it lacks a lot of features I love about the 1000Pro. Most of them are disabled I suppose to get people to upgrade fast. No HSI, no TAS display (why have an airdata computer then?) e.t.c. Would not consider this at all. The 1000Pro is much better.

I agree, they have to come up with something better and more visible to keep people upgrading. Mine is a bog standard 1000Pro so I have some leeway up (SVT and AOA for starters as well as the S-TEC integration) but they are quite costly and out of my reach at this time.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Correct Peter, the E5 is priced at $4995 without an ACU. If an ACU is required for analog interface then add another $1000. It is not limited to VFR installs. One important element of the E5 new software is that attitude is now calculated with GPS aiding instead of the old way of relying on air data. The end result is that we no longer have to put up the dreaded RED X’s but, rather, can offer a degraded attitude mode. I have flown the E5 in degraded mode and it is not very degraded. . .almost exactly the same as the normal mode.

Many thanks for your post, Cory. This input from the manufacturer is really useful and welcome.

Administrator
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message