Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aspen E5 - another non-TSO but STCd product

Getting closer to remove vacuum pump and replacing instruments in our Commander 112TCA (Owner group).

We are thinking of two G5s or an E5.

As I understand, G5 horizon + HSI is $2549+3075.

E5 is $5000 + 1000 for analog AP interface so it works with our STEC 55X (as i understand).

These options are pretty close in pricing. I guess install cost is similar?

E5 is interesting considering future upgrades. But the big thing is the lack of an HSI. I wish Aspen would change this. We have an HSI today so it would be a downgrade.

Are there any other options right now on the market in the same price range?

Has anyone replaced their instruments?

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Maybe @Cory_Relling_Aspen_Avionics is still around?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I went down your route. I was finally persuaded by an installer who handled both Aspen and Garmin. He thought the Garmin was better for various reasons including the display. I also recall finding some internet chat about display failures on the Aspen, stuff about running hot and reliability. Perhaps that has now changed

In the end I went twin G5’s. If your top Garmin G5 AI fails the bottom G5 detects this and immediately changes into an AI. You can also press a button to make the lower one toggle between the two. I was going to get rid of my vacuum pump but needed this for the Autopilot. So I have 3 x AI’s in my aircraft, 2 working all of the time and a spare ready to spring into life.

Much better to have the redundancy and no single point of failure in my view.

United Kingdom

Thanks for input.

Got feedback from the avionics shop today.
Very surprised… Garmin G5 STC does not list IFD540 (which we have) as an approved Device. So no STC!

Those i have seen in the USA must have been field approvals.

Last Edited by Jonas at 14 Aug 06:54
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

The principle that everything not shown in the STC Installation Manual is illegal, is not universally practiced

Applying that policy is “safe” and is probably a good policy for those who

• cannot read
  • cannot read documents
  • don’t want to read documents
  • want an easy life
  • have a long queue of people banging on their door wanting 8.33 stuff done yesterday
  • cannot do design work, so need a wiring diagram for the actual job supplied to them
  • have no way to debug stuff if it doesn’t work
  • don’t want to deal with a customer who says something should work but it doesn’t
  • don’t want to get into major/minor mods (or, for N-reg, field approvals / DER 8110)
  • can’t read / don’t want to read / don’t understand EASA regs
  • etc

but there are many interconnections which work and which are not in the IM.

If you are N-reg then finding somebody’s Field Approval is very helpful. You can get their aircraft records very cheaply from the FAA. You need to know their tail number. But doing field approvals from Europe is hard work. I have a contact if you need one – mentioned here.

Administrator

Thanks!

I asked Avidyne and they say IFD 540 has STC for G5. And that there is no need for STC from Garmin (?). No Field approval needed. Did not know that and maybe the Avionics shop isn’t updated on the Avidyne STC. I think the STC for the G5 HSI came in June this year.

Anyway, still interested in Aspen E5 (But the HSI….)!

Our HSI just broke so lets see if it can be fixed or if we have to upgrade.

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Apparently the E5 is now EASA approved.

Administrator
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Jonas wrote:

E5 now includes HSI!

What did it have for navigation display before if not a HSI?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Only DG/CDI….

Last Edited by Jonas at 04 Jan 13:54
ESOW Västerås, Sweden
Sign in to add your message