Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA 50hr service time limit, extensions, and pilot maintenance privileges

Don’t forget part-M MA.801(d) which is highly relevant to Peter’s question.

By derogation from point M.A.801(b), in the case of unforeseen situations, when an aircraft is grounded at a location where no approved maintenance organisation appropriately approved under this Annex or Annex II (Part-145) and no appropriate certifying staff are available, the owner may authorise any person, with no less than 3 years of appropriate maintenance experience and holding the proper qualifications, to maintain according to the standards set out in Subpart D of this Annex and release the aircraft. ….

That paragraph is applicable to all categories of aircraft.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 09 May 14:24
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Indeed and it still requires the owner authorization (and not the single pilot-owner) to work on the aircraft.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 09 May 14:57

if you do have sex in it, that won’t affect the legality of you driving the car.

I can think of a few ways where it might be possible to do both.

Egnm, United Kingdom

And if I am right, the pilot owner and its privilege has to be declared in the maintenance program to perform maintenance.

LFPE

Which regulation is it that allows the 10% extensions?

Sweden

I don’t know the regulation (finding EASA regs is a whole new lifetime project ) but an “engineer” has to approve the extension. So, the CAMO possibly? I know a fair number of people have hassle with this when doing a long trip somewhere.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The 10 % extension comes from M.A.302. The Part-M Light includes an alleviation in that regard:

ML.A.302
(d) A MIP:
(1) shall contain the following inspection intervals:
(a) for aeroplanes, touring motor gliders (‘TMGs’) and balloons, every annual or 100-
h interval, whichever comes first, to which a tolerance of 1 month or 10 h may be
applied. The next interval shall be calculated as from the time the inspection takes
plac;

With Part-M you could go to 110h but the next inspection was required again after 100 hours. Now we can rename it as 110-hour-inspection. :)

Edit: Here’s the regulation, valid from March 24th 2020. https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/general-publications/erules-consolidated-regulation-eu-no-13212014-continuing

Last Edited by ArcticChiller at 25 Feb 18:51
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message