Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

WAAS in Europe?

Anders wrote:

Yes it is. But you basically need to know it exists to be able to find it in the AIP.

But it is in the GPS database including runway data?

EGTK Oxford

Certainly if the extent of the information in the AIP is that shown in AD 1 above, there is no way it could be coded; for example, there are no co-ordinates for runway ends, but then how do we explain ESOL?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Thank you all for the comprehensive responses… and just when I thought things will get easier…back to school :)

LRIA, Romania

If you make a list, count me in, too :)

It’s very expensive indeed, total price for 2 Garmin units, rewiring, etc. at Straubing is about 22,000 EUR. A little bit too much for hardcore IFR pilots who lost counting of the miriad new gizmos long time ago…

I may upgrade just the GNS530 if my Sandel 3308 (or upgraded 3500) and STEC 60-2 AP will still work, with roll steering and SBAS, as a compromise. I can always upgrade the GNS430 later, given Garmin will still support the GNS series.

LRIA, Romania

Sorry, Peter, I was confused by you asking

Operationally, what is the difference between having roll steering and not?

I remain a little confused as to why you asked when you

happen to know exactly what it does.

My bad.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Not all questions are asked for oneself…

Also, somehow, I have managed to fly IFR in Europe with the KLN94+KMD550, since 2006, and I now have over 2400hrs. And I have never had avionics performance or functionality related issues. This should not be possible

BTW the format for a quote is bq. See Posting Tips.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Also, somehow, I have managed to fly IFR in Europe with the KLN94+KMD550, since 2006, and I now have over 2400hrs. And I have never had avionics performance or functionality related issues.

But the world is changing. I don’t know when PBN is going to be overwhelmingly important, but I doubt you’ll get another 2400 hours in before it is.

EGKB Biggin Hill

We have been here before and PRNAV (as it was then called) was going to be “the death of IFR GA unless you spent 5 figures on avionics” etc.

In reality things move slower, for many reasons. I will upgrade when it is worth doing.

We now have the PBN add-on to the IR revalidation, so this is something to study. In the UK it has been implemented as an oral section, which is great. The main thread on the mandatory PBN stuff is here.

On the topic of this thread, the WAAS upgrade to a GNS box gives you mainly LPV (if the autopilot is correctly wired up), and some small things which I am sure others will remember (more waypoints can be loaded into the route?). And maybe better connectivity with Garmin Pilot or Foreflight because the firmware is more recent. Does the database contain more detail e.g. DME arcs, holding patterns, etc?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

RNAV 5 (B-RNAV) for ENR is going to stay. RNAV and RNP are two variations within the PBN concept. Unless you want LPV and spend some serious money. Also in LNAV your lateral deviation goes to 0.3. once passed the FAF I noticed it again a couple of days when flying an LNAV approach, when approaching the FAF you track toward the runway is on rails. Not better lateral with LPV so for me if I need a DH < 390 Ft. I’ll take the ILS. My home airport is VFR the alternates all have ILS.

EBST

I’ve been hitting Aviation Exam the last couple of weeks ahead of sitting the TK next month. I notice in the Radio Navigation QB, there are lots of PBN questions but according to this it won’t actually be tested until after August?

https://www.easa.europa.eu/faq/21305

EIMH, Ireland
Sign in to add your message