Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

WAAS in Europe?

Peter wrote:

If I costed out every time I had to fly a hold, or a DME arc, against the cost of a WAAS installation, it would come out at 4 figures per procedure

Peter,

Unless you use your aircraft for business, it is almost never possible to justify any avionics change, it is a rationalization, its what I want.

If I were faced with a choice of giving up GPSS or LPV, LPV would have to go. I spend the vast majority of my flights with the autopilot in lateral navigation. So now, I am going to spend nearly $50,000 on avionics and there is absolutely no justification. I want it.

KUZA, United States

On the downsides

1. You need to buy a different Jepp USB adaptor and backup cards

2. The GNSx30W navdata cards are coded to the unit. The GNSx30 are interchangeable if you have need to have access to a couple of units or even airplanes (although check your Jepp T&Cs)

liftvectorup wrote:

On the downsides

1. You need to buy a different Jepp USB adaptor and backup cards

You may, or may not, have to buy a different adapter. If you already have the G2 adapter, you’re fine.

2. The GNSx30W navdata cards are coded to the unit. The GNSx30 are interchangeable if you have need to have access to a couple of units or even airplanes (although check your Jepp T&Cs)

The GNSx30W nadata cards are NOT coded to the unit and are perfectly interchangeable. How do I positively know? Because I just changed one of my data cards.

LFPT, LFPN

The GNS and GTN data cards are “locked” in some way (previous threads on this) otherwise you could duplicate them and load up multiple GPSs from one subscription.

The GNS cards are not “locked” to any unit. You do not “load up” the unit. The card has to remain in the unit for it to access the db. If you remove the card you have no database. So you can use the card only in one unit at the time. If you rent you can enter it into the rental’s unit.

You do not need to provide the s/n number of the GNS when ordering a card either.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 28 May 05:25
LFPT, LFPN

One database card thread

Another database card thread

Another database card thread

GNS to GNS W update thread

The last one above is specially relevant to the OP’s question.

If I get time I will go through all these and post a summary of the various copy protection systems in use. It’s all in there somewhere. The one I definitely know about is the KLN94 one, where a non-writeable key is stored on the CF card. Honeywell used a special CF card, made by Sandisk, which has a “lock” mode. I got an email from someone recently detailing the system.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

NCYankee wrote:

The GNS database cards can be used in any unit. I have even loaned my database out for a student that did not have a current database so they could take a check ride. For some owners that have dual GNS units such as a GNS530 and a GNS430 will only do a single subscription. They move the expired database to the 430 and reprogram the 530. The cross fill function won’t work, but many pilots don’t care as the 430 is only used for backup and is usually set to continuously display the traffic page if they have a TCAD installed.

Exactly. And it does not matter whether it is W or not. Works the same way although it is different cards (green label 4 MB vs 16 MB orange or silver label). Obviously if you have one W and one non-W unit, you cannot move the cards from one unit to the other.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 28 May 07:23
LFPT, LFPN

Jacko wrote:

Of course, a couple of hundred yards overshoot doesn’t matter in practice, but it looks a bit sloppy to anyone watching a radar screen. I would hate ATC to think that any Maule pilot would be so busy drinking beer as to fly a procedure like that.

The citation mustang often overshot regardless of beer consumption so I wouldn’t worry about it.

EGTK Oxford

I don’t think there is a “fix”. You would need a completely different algorithm for implementing turns.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Jacko,

Quite a bit of Easterly wind, perhaps?

If so, that would be explained by the AP not correcting the anticipation for wind. Which it could, in principle, but maybe doesn’t

On a less serious note – where is the waypoint OSMEG? And are there any called LISTR, RIMMR, DECAT and HOLLY in the vicinity? Just wondering…

Biggin Hill

Peter, thanks for the pointer to that thread. My guess is that if anyone knows about this stuff it will be @NCYankee, who has a similar GPS and AP setup in his Bo.

Alex, interesting that it’s not just Maules which are affected, so it’s nothing to do with the roll servo operating on the rudder instead of the ailerons (which are more or less only for “show” on a Maule). Knowing of this “fault” (I guess Microsoft would call it a “feature”), I guess we could help the AP roll into the turn by giving the control wheel a tweak (or the rudder in your case), but that rather defeats the point of running an autopilot.

Cobalt, good point, there might have been a wee bit of south easterly, but I’m sure it wasn’t much – we don’t really get wind in Scotland (outside of the Holyrood parliament building). I’ll download and check the ground speed from the engine monitor. OSMEG is a convenient local waypoint from which to start a practice GPS cloudbreak over Loch Ken. Perhaps I should ask NATS to add the others – and while theyre at it, to move JACKO up here from the Thames estuary.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message