Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

WAAS in Europe?

Interesting thread, that I have only just managed to catch up on and I have learned a lot from.

One thing that I think is worth remembering is that although PBN approaches can appear to be the saviour, they are useless if you don’t have the approaches in “the box”. It is easy to get oneself into a false sense of security, whereby you can think you can do a PBN approach anywhere and it is your get out of jail card.

Though it is compelling to get into the vagueries of flying smooth arcs and holds, in extremis, all you need is to find an approach to precision minima. With an ILS you don’t need the coded approach but just a frequency and a QDM. As long as you know the airfield elevation and have a reasonable idea of terrain you could fly it without an approach plate. Whilst this is not ideal or legal it might be all that you have.

Interestingly, the aircraft I fly day to day is one of the most advanced technologically..but doesn’t have SBAAS capability. So it is certainly a nice to have as opposed to a necessity.

Rgds

Hampshire

You can fly GPS/LNAV (i.e. not LPV) approaches using user waypoints. Just make sure you load them correctly and test the finished job in VMC And you won’t get the automatic scale tightening from 5 to 1 to 0.3nm but you can do that manually.

There is no way to achieve LPV that way, although there is no reason why an “LPV GPS” could not be implemented on a phone or a tablet.

the aircraft I fly day to day is one of the most advanced technologically..but doesn’t have SBAAS capability. So it is certainly a nice to have as opposed to a necessity.

@Teal what you may be referring to is this. That is why even in an uncertified aircraft you probably want to install a certified GPS.

That’s unless you are an airline pilot in which case it may be true also

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, I agree.

Thee point I am trying to make is that if you have to divert to somewhere unfamiliar, maybe due to weather, fuel or an aircraft problem….then a map (for runway elevation and terrain), an ILS frequency and a QDM is all you need.

Some sort of radar service would be nice too.

Hampshire

Peter wrote:

You can fly GPS/LNAV (i.e. not LPV) approaches using user waypoints.

Not according to any AFMS I have read. The entire approach must be loaded from the database as an approach. So what you suggest would not be legal IMHO.

KUZA, United States

So what you suggest would not be legal IMHO.

That’s correct

You just cannot beat an ILS

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

ILS (Is Last Sentry) :)

KUZA, United States
56 Posts
Sign in to add your message