Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rules on mounting of portable GPSs and such

This FAA document local copy goes back to 2013 and it may have been posted here before.

It’s interesting; you don’t need any approval for the permanently mounted portion – the GPS mount. That can be screwed to the panel or the yoke.

It must not obstruct other instruments – this may be obvious but a lot of yoke mounted installations fail on that one.

They also don’t restrict what it is connected to (in addition to, obviously, the aircraft power) although, presumably, an autopilot connection would translate to a new autopilot AFMS which would mean a Major Alteration. A connection to e.g. the aircraft intercom appears ok.

Does anyone know the equivalent EASA concession?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Don’t know about EASA but the CAA require LAE sign off approval for camera mounts, and yet apparently no such approval for GPS mounts.

Also, no blue tooth/Wi-fi connections allowed for cameras but seemingly ok for GPS. Go figure……

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%201369.pdf [ local copy ]

Last Edited by flybymike at 05 Jun 23:38
Egnm, United Kingdom

Another data point, this time for Australia, is here but that is for cameras too.

Nothing for EASA? I wonder if @mh knows.

Administrator

I really think this is one of those subjects where, if you behave sensibly, asking the question achieves nothing positive and potentially means you won’t like the answer.

EGTK Oxford

That’s one point of view which is fine for an aircraft owner who is not over some barrel, but it is of little assistance to someone who wants to fit say an Ipad to the yoke and whose EASA maintenance company then refuses to do the Annual because, they say, it is illegal. I have loads and loads of emails, and we have had many posts here, along these lines.

The FAA at least offers clear guidance, which you can show to whoever wants to know.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

That’s one point of view which is fine for an aircraft owner who is not over some barrel, but it is of little assistance to someone who wants to fit say an Ipad to the yoke and whose EASA maintenance company then refuses to do the Annual because, they say, it is illegal. I have loads and loads of emails, and we have had many posts here, along these lines.

Can most of these mounts just not be removed for the annual?

Is it really still happening given the prevalence of these things these days?

EGTK Oxford

In this context the mount would usually be permanently fixed (with screws) and permanently wired to the aircraft power.

If you can fix a mount with velcro or a clamp and run a cable to the cigar lighter, there is obviously no issue. But most people don’t like a dangling cable to the cigar lighter socket, especially from a yoke mounted device. It is extremely messy.

The UK LAA guidance is here but again this is for cameras.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

In this context the mount would usually be permanently fixed (with screws) and permanently wired to the aircraft power.

In this case, SC052b, SC102a would apply. Other than that, I guess you don’t really need regulation, do you?

Last Edited by mh at 06 Jun 13:05
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

The 1st one googles to here local copy and the 2nd one doesn’t but it appears within the 1st.

That is a huge manual for all kinds of stuff. I can’t see guidance for mounting the mount for a portable device.

There is a section on “Standard Change CS-SC102a INSTALLATION OF DC POWER SUPPLY SYSTEMS (PSS) FOR PORTABLE ELECTRONIC DEVICES (PED)” which deals with the power connection (a dedicated CB would usually be used) which then says

“2. Applicability/Eligibility
Aeroplanes not being complex motor-powered aircraft, rotorcraft not being complex motor-powered aircraft and any ELA2 aircraft.”

so not applicable over 1200kg.

Certainly, no regulation is needed to do the installation correctly. A reference to a regulation allowing it is needed to facilitate acceptance by a maintenance company, of an aircraft with the installation already done.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

A reference to a regulation allowing it is needed to facilitate acceptance by a maintenance company, of an aircraft with the installation already done.

EASA and FAA are working hard on mutual acceptance of guidance material and knowledge (EASA is way ahead of the FAA in terms of acceptance, though). This is reflected to completely accept the AC 43.13-1B for standard repairs, for example. I think, if the FAA or the british CAA has a guide, that’ll do for practical reasons of adding a temporary tablet.

NB: within EASA-land, the installation of action cams is a standard change – within the FAA-land, it’s prohibited but not prosecuted, IIRC. That’d be a substantial difference.

However, if you want to install this stuff permanently in a cockpit, where CS-STAN doesn’t apply, you need a Minor Change to TC. Every regular DO can do that in house (no EASA involvement required, as ref. in Part 21)

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message