Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Removing bugs

That time of year again here so what do others use to remove bug squash that is easy and not harmful to the paint work?

UK, United Kingdom

LiquiMolly aircraft cleaner. Very effective

LFPT, LFPN

I have some stuff from the Aeroshell range, which works brilliantly (also for removing bird droppings) but the deposit it leaves is not water soluble, which is a big problem. I think it comes off with avgas… Something to check out…

Also make sure it doesn’t affect TKS panels. There is a narrow range of permitted chemicals, due to the absorbent material inside.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I just wet them with a small garden/plant sprayer with water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Leave for 10-15 minutes and then sponge the bugs off with cold water and a microfibre cloth liberated from Mrs J’s stock of cleaning equipment.

They come off easier immediately post flight, but I’m not always good at doing that…

Same process for removing sheep and cow excrement, but that takes longer, and really needs to be done ASAP.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Same process for removing sheep and cow excrement, but that takes longer, and really needs to be done ASAP.

I dont think many of us have a risk of catching that :-)

EDM_, Germany

works well and is ok for TKS systems

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Mr. Sheen or Pledge. Makes it easier to get the next layer of bugs off, too.

Andreas IOM

I suspect using furniture polish will not be beneficial for the TKS panels

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I apply water liberally with a sponge along the leading edges one by one and by the time I’ve gone around the entire aircraft they’ve usually soaked enough to rub off fairly easily with a damp cloth.

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

Are there companies around that can re polish a plexiglass wind screen and bring it back to as new clarity?

UK, United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message