Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prop strike (merged)

I suffered a prop strike a few weeks ago and it's turned out to be a blessing in disguise. My Falco was first flown some 20 years ago on a zero timed engine but to date has still only done 150 hours. One reads lots about internal corrosion on idle engines but I've just found out how bad it can be: no run-out from the prop strike but cam, followers, gears and cylinders are all scrap due to corrosion. :( I'd only just done the annual and compressions were all good and my oil filter is still sitting in a sealed container waiting for me to cut it open but now I know that the engine was happily filing itself to death...... Expensive but I'm happy to have found out now rather than whilst flying through a valley in the Swiss Alps. My real reason for posting is this: As part of the shock load inspection the governor needs to be stripped and inspected but the engineers (Nicholson McLaren) can't find any data for it. I've searched high and low and I can't either so if any of you can find tech specs for a Woodward 210085U I'd be most grateful. I've consulted with the design holders and they think that it's the correct governor but don't have any more info. Ta. Stick.

Forever learning
EGTB

I've asked a couple of people in the USA.

Amazing that Woodward themselves don't have the data for it. I wonder if 210085U is the actual P/N.

Engine corrosion is a big problem. Socata did this over 10 years ago, with some dozens of engines stored for too long, which were rusty when installed. You did well to find it. Did you do oil analysis? It ought to have shown up a very high ppm on chromium, aluminium, and probably everything else.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I got this thus far from a US site:

"Under license agreement with Woodward Aircraft Engine Systems, Ontic Manufacturing and Engineering, Inc. now has all manufacturing and support responsibility for reciprocating engine propeller governors."

Reciprocating Engine Propeller Governors
(+1) 818 725 2303
[email protected]
Technical Assistance
Mike Rashmir
(+1) 818 725 2303
[email protected]

Administrator

Thanks Peter. Your response has already been copied and pasted on to another forum! Stick

Forever learning
EGTB

Your response has already been copied and pasted on to another forum! Stick

That's really funny.

The regulars on the other place are afraid of letting it be known that they read EuroGA, in case they get excommunicated

Administrator

Not all of them ;)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I am very sure that 210085U is not the part number but perhaps a serial number or something like that.

If you do a google on 210085U you get only "our" postings asking about it. This is strongly indicative of the P/N being wrong. I do this sort of thing all the time with electronic components.

Administrator

Loading images is too much of a bore but the part number is embossed on the metal label on the governor. No mistake. If you search hard enough you can find it listed on some Brazilian aircraft parts supplier's listing but there's no other info there. I'm waiting for a response from the email I sent as above.

Forever learning
EGTB

Another tip I got from the US shop which did my engine is this:

Oklahoma (918) 835-9924. Ask for Danny.

http://www.aircraftaccessoriesofok.com

The other well known company is

http://www.qualityaircraftaccessories.com

which I believe is EASA145 too so they can do a dual release 8130-3 (for a G-reg).

Administrator

The specs were eventually located. My crankcase has to go back to USA for line-boring which means I'm grounded for at least another month.

Forever learning
EGTB
Sign in to add your message