Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne IDF440 and Lynx3

right, in advance, I am not the most technically savvy person so apologies in advance for the rather dumbed down version of this update…

We changed the GNS430 and our non ADSB -Out transponder for an IFD440 coupled to a Lynx 3 – the lot working with our Aspen Evolution. The IFD440 is supposed to be a slot and play replacement for the Garmin GNS430, sidewise that is definitely the case. We got the lot installed in the UK at a reputable shop and I have flown it 6 hours since the job got finalised last week. So far, I think the 440 is intuitive and has the added advantage that it also displays the traffic coming from the Lynx 3 (though not coupled to the IFD440). I have obviously only flown 1 approach in it so far – followed by a missed in Nantes (only for practice before landing VFR in Quiberon LFEQ) on Saturday – then flew it back to LFHN (with a diversion for thunderstorms to LFLP also VFR) but with some actual IMC on the way back across France in time to get some practice.
There are a bunch of things which I really like about the IFD, the possibility to enter IFR routes rather than individual waypoints. The predictive nature of the waypoints as you enter them based on your route or where you are. It is probably more intuitive than the Garmin kit, and the interface is much more modern. The touch screen, so far I don’t know. It’s handy when it’s clear skies and calm but I was definitely not a fan being bumped around in IMC around Clermont on the way back on Saturday. All functions are doubled by the knobs on the unit. I suppose I need more time with the unit to get a little bit more acquainted with it and get fully comfortable with it.
So far what is not working are the storm scope (or I havent figured out how to use it properly) and the second radio has loads of static on it now. Both need fixing.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Many thanks for posting the report.

The IFD boxes are indeed nice; I think it is fair to say that most prefer the IFD user interface to the GTNs. The decision tends to be made mostly on the relative size and track record of the two companies…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message