Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any interest in a GFC500 STC for a Robin DR400?

WilliamF wrote:

Does someone not have to volunteer their aircraft for testing, which carries the caveat it may be grounded for months, in order for Garmin to get the STC on another type?

I would appreciate that Garmin openly admits that getting a STC can take longer than we think.
On the occasion of a much simpler STC for Aspen devices for DR400/300/200, one aircraft after faulty installation of antennas was considered unairworthy and scrapped.
The second Robin is being held in the Aspen dealer’s hangar for 18 months now and the company withdrew from the STC.

LFCL, France

Lafayette Avionics in the States are currently advertising supply and installation of GFC 500 in Cessna 172 and PA28’s which already have a G5 fitted for $9995.00!

Kev
Eshott / Newcastle, United Kingdom

Kev wrote:

Lafayette Avionics in the States are currently advertising supply and installation of GFC 500 in Cessna 172 and PA28’s which already have a G5 fitted for $9995.00!

Yes, they had to react on the rising number of Trio and TruTrak autopilots.

But, this does not help the DR400 people.

they had to react on the rising number of Trio and TruTrak autopilots.

Far more likely they went for the low hanging fruit, in terms of airframe numbers

Things like Robins and Socatas are an order of magnitude below the others… and Robins are probably 10x less likely to get a group-funded STC than Socatas, due to the different IFR mission profile of the respective communities.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It all sounds rather depressing! I don’t imagine PA28’s or 172’s flying long IFR flights any more than a DR400 but numbers are no doubt the key. All I can do is keep waiting and hoping the unexpected will happen. I understand only stec are currently approved for DR400 aircraft but I am told they are on another level of expensive and they don’t seem to be anywhere near as good as the GFC500. Is there any other alternative? ( apart from buying another aircraft! )

Kev
Eshott / Newcastle, United Kingdom

Trio and Trutrak seem promising. I’d think a GFC500 maybe is a bit overkill in a Robin. They are such nice planes to handfly !

EBST, Belgium

airways wrote:

Trio and Trutrak seem promising.

No DR400 so far, but I am on it.

I don’t imagine PA28’s or 172’s flying long IFR flights any more than a DR400 but numbers are no doubt the key

I think PA28s and 172s do many more long flights, especially in the US. Maybe not much IFR but an AP is extremely good for VFR also. You can take photos, prepare food, have a pee

I am sure if you can get a bunch of people together then it could happen, but they will need to be committed financially, and you need to use an avionics outfit which has a record of delivering EASA STCs, and not talks the talk but doesn’t walk the walk, or subcontracts the STC to another outfit which is either disinterested or incompetent.

AFAIK the two outfits with a record of doing this are wigglyamp’s old company in the UK, and Avionics Straubing in Germany. Wigglyamp has already written on the subject e.g. here (various other peoples’ posts in that thread are no longer applicable – beware!). Also this post is wrong/incomplete; you can put in a GTN as a Minor mod, with limitations (e.g. no LPV).

In a similar way I went through this exercise when looking for a plane in 2002, and walked away fast from vendors who arrogantly told me they can’t offer this and that because I don’t need it Robins seem to be a good choice for those who don’t want to do significant upgrades, which probably applies to a lot of owners located outside the major market (France).

No DR400 so far, but I am on it.

Dejwu – are you developing avionics STCs?

Please keep this thread on the topic. If someone is developing an STC for a different autopilot, start another thread.

Administrator

@Peter: I agree, we should stay on the topic! Maybe you cut the non-GFC500 part and put it separate, or delete?

Anyone can start a thread I’ve just spent 5hrs sitting in my plane.

Dejwu – are you developing avionics STCs? We allow (and encourage) businesses to post about their products/services provided they participate in the forum generally, but their business needs to be openly declared.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message