Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

McCauley "Obsolete" Threaded Propellers

I’ve got three McCauley propellers sitting here in the hangar and I’m weighing up my options. I can overhaul the McCauley D3A34C402/90DFA-10 with a new hub to fit the aircraft. That will cost me 4800stg if my blades are good. The other option I have is overhaul the threaded/obsolete design McCauley which is the D3A32C90/82NC-2. Prop shops immediately back away when you mention these props. We got one quote for 7800stg – which priced in 3 No. Ferrules at 1200stg each. Has anyone here overhauled a threaded prop? Is anyone here operating one and can comment on the more frequent oil leaks I read about?

http://cessnaowner.org/propeller-leaks/

I can break down these three props, and sell them as cores as Plan B and buy a Hartzell kit either in that event.

Last Edited by WilliamF at 17 Aug 09:13
Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

@WilliamF I have this from one former experienced prop shop guy:

Threaded McCauley propellers very old and it’s very difficult to find parts or someone to do overhaul. Definitely recommend to stay away from them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter,
I posted the question on backcountrypilot and got a similar response. Thing is these props were fitted on aircraft made in 1970’s or earlier, like the C210/C206/F33C etc. So they are not stone age and certainly something I will watch out for in future. My plan is to break down the threaded prop in a propshop and test the individual components so I can sell them on if they are serviceable. Then build up the other prop I have as a D3A34C401/90DFA-10 which will be the one that offers the most performance.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message