Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spare fixed-pitch propeller?

It’s a bit of a long shot but I thought I would ask since I am in a bit of a tricky situation…

My Lancair 360 N77ZG and I are based out of California, but I just made (most of) my first transatlantic crossing to visit my father in the U.K. who is having a fly-in 90th birthday party. Unfortunately between Iceland and Scotland a portion of the nickel protective strip came off my fixed-pitch composite propeller, leading to imbalance and resulting vibration. I diverted to Vagar EKVG in the Faroe Islands where N77ZG is currently ensconced in Atlantic Airways’ Airbus maintenance hangar.

So… does anyone have a spare fixed-pitch prop that I could either buy or borrow for a couple of weeks to get my aircraft home? Would need to have an SAE Type 2 mounting pattern for 1/2" bolts (as used on Lycoming O-360 or O-540 series) and somewhere in the neighborhood of 70" diameter, 84" pitch.

United States

Is there no way you can temporarily fix it?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I don’t think that would be easy. Not sure of the make, but Whirlwind have a proprietary method for attaching the metal leading edge. I think it is by electroforming. However you slice it, the propeller is going to have to be returned to the manufacturer for overhaul. It is an unusual diameter and pitch, and I think you will have to get the manufacturer to FedEx you another one. Sorry to hear about his mishap and very lucky the propeller held itself together for the diversion.
Simon

If you’re Experimental, you might be able to fit a number of different props. Poorer speed, endurance, climb rate maybe. Though you may not want to do so for a Faroes to California flight.
After hitting a fence, I flew a Jodel DR1050 out of Stronsay, Orkney, with a different diameter and pitch prop borrowed from a Condor.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I have a prop designed for a Lyc. O235 from my Tempete. She won’t be flying this year, so I can lend it for a ferry flight. 160cm diameter, wood, self-designed by the danish builder. Or a McCauley 1C172/MDM765?. Have to look it up, am only on the phone today.

Last Edited by mh at 26 Aug 20:07
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Thanks all for the advice and mh for the kind offer. Unfortunately the flange for the O-235 is different and it wouldn’t fit. But fortunately the propeller manufacturer has agreed to ship me a replacement propeller from California, so I should be able to collect my Lancair on Friday.

United States

Ah, were you the Mayday aircraft in Iceland last Friday? Glad to hear you made it to the Faroe Islands okay.

EGBB
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message