Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RF (radius to fix) legs

I read this :

On planecheck (http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=41875) for a 2009 Cessna 182 G1000 « latest version ».

I done the update (0563.35) on mine (2008 C182) but I don’t think I’ve got this possibility. For example, I cannot load the RNAV 05 approach for Strasbourg LFST – Ch 61880 E05A.

Does anyone can tell me if the advert is wrong or if really updated C182 can do a RF leg ?

I can’t tell you about the G1000, but in the GTN it is deep buried in the installation menus.

But my understanding is that, for the moment, RF legs are limited to RNP AR APCH, so of no value yet to a light aircraft.

EGKB Biggin Hill

There are a few approaches in the US that utilize RF legs. RNAV (GPS) X RWY 24 at KCRQ is the example. RF legs are limited to RNP 1 procedures and these may be found on conventional approaches (example is Ketchikan PAKT ILS Z or LOC Z RWY 11) or on RNP 1 procedures used on STAR or DP (example ZELAN4 SID out of KATL). Anytime a SID or STAR includes an RF leg, it will be noted as requiring RNP-1. More and more will become available over time, but they are still rare. I am having a GTN750 installed with a G500 Txi in my Bonanza and the installation will qualify for RF legs.

KUZA, United States

There is at least one in Europe that’s RNP 1 rather than AR APCH:

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 09 Sep 21:23
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Timothy wrote:

But my understanding is that, for the moment, RF legs are limited to RNP AR APCH, so of no value yet to a light aircraft.

NCYankee wrote:

RF legs are limited to RNP 1 procedures

This may be the case in the UK and the US, but doesn’t seem to be true everywhere in Europe. The Strasbourg LFST RNAV 05 requires RF but I can’t find anything on the plate mentioning a need for RNAV 1 or RNP 1. Besides the Zurich approach above (which does need RNAV 1), there are a couple others in Switzerland that require RF but don’t have any RNAV 1 or RNP 1 requirement and they would be very useful for light GA aircraft as they both shorten the approach and lower the altitude at the FAF from 6000 to 3500/3000 feet because final track is joined much closer to the airport.

Do I understand you correctly @Timothy that the GTN now does support RF if installed and configured accordingly?

LSZK, Switzerland
Do I understand you correctly that the GTN now does support RF if installed and configured accordingly?

Yes. I’ll post a picture of the page when I can.

EGKB Biggin Hill

EGKB Biggin Hill

chflyer wrote:

the GTN now does support RF if installed and configured accordingly?

IIRC, you must have an EHSI.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Does that mean that the button doesn’t work if you don’t have EHSI, or that you are not allowed to press it if you don’t?

An RF leg can be flown on a conventional HSI, an OBS or even using the CDI on the screen, that would be rather like flying a raw data DME arc, but it’s much easier with an EHSI.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

Does that mean that the button doesn’t work if you don’t have EHSI, or that you are not allowed to press it if you don’t?

The latter. Garmin’s STC says you need an EHSI with autoslew.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
80 Posts
Sign in to add your message