Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - using bizjet refill facilities, and fittings for those

One longer term project of mine has been to make up a refill hose which goes from the US 540 thread (which you get on all US oxygen cylinders) to the "oxygen refill trolley" used to top off the emergency gaseous oxygen cylinders in bizjets and turboprops.

The latter fitting is what I am after.

It is a very small fitting - of the order of 10mm thread diameter.

Would anybody have any part numbers, for the female end (the aircraft end) of that? Maybe some bizjet IPC (illustrated parts catalogue) will have a P/N I could buy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hello Peter, just checked the parts manual of my former Mooney 20M. The filling station joint is a product made by a company called Swagelok. Mooney part number is "A-400-9" and their name for it is ".UNION (SWAGELOK)" I could scan the pages and send them to you. regards

EDxx, Germany

Peter, think I didn't give you the correct part number. It should be "B-200-7-2" named ".connector (SWAGELOK)"

I send you the scans to confirm it for further investigation.

EDxx, Germany

Thank you Nobbi - that looks suspiciously like the right part.

Being 1/8 NPT also sounds right. I'd be worried if it was metric

Administrator

I got a photo of the exact fitting yesterday. This was on a King Air

Fairly likely, like most of this stuff, it is made by Puritan Bennett.

The P/N does google but all hits are the usual just “aviation part number trap” sites which buy and sell stuff when they get an enquiry.

Administrator

Hello Peter,

I missed the beginning of this thread, otherwise I would have answered earlier. Next time I go flying (not very busy right now) I will ask our technicians for the part number, but it will most certainly be a Cessna or Embraer part number and not the number of the manufacturer. The cap with that little chain is the same on the Citations, the mounting flange looks different however. On some aeroplanes, there is no flange at all but the end of the tube with the fitting is simply clamped to a frame in the fuselage.

And regarding parts prices: I just got a quote for the trim switch of our FNPT simulator that broke after 10 years of service (a sliding switch on the yoke): 298 Euos + Tax + UPS. Now I am looking for alternatives…

EDDS - Stuttgart

I don’t need the flange; I want to make up an inline converter sort of thing. Something to keep in my toolbox in case I get stuck on a trip. But if it comes with a flange, that doesn’t matter.

The trim switch is an “old favourite” – the King one was $700 years ago. Here, search for “yoke switch cluster”. It probably contains two or three standard microswitches.

Administrator

It probably contains two or three standard microswitches.

Ours is much easier than that! A bog standard 3-position momentary-action sliding switch from OTTO controls ( www.ottoexcellence.com/file.aspx?FileId=5944 ). We don’t even need the mil-spec version. 300 Euros! In my next life, I will make electromechanical parts… The same switch (but with momentary action only in one direction) is used for PTT and intercom on the Citation yoke. Recently one of ours needed to be changed. Just for fun I will ask our technicians what Cessna charged them for the part. Not less than 1000 Euros I guess.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Peter

It is a long time since I did an O2 top up on an aircraft at most big aircraft now only use O2 for the flight crew and chemical O2 for the pax.

I seem to remember that the aircraft fitting was a left hand thread, I am guessing that if you are looking for a fitting to do this job it would probably be best to find out what thread form is required and get one spun up out of a bit of hex brass bar.

Once you have found the thread spec I would go to the nearest model engineering shop and buy a bit of brass bar and ask if they know anyone who could manufacture this for you.

Most of the UK’s real engineering talent is hidden in railway arches and garden sheds building stuff for fun and for a small contribution to their new project you can usualy get one of these guys to make something for you.

Thanks to a kind pilot here, I have the Cessna P/N which is 9912057-13 and sure enough google/images comes up with the part

Administrator
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message