Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GTN G600 Compatibility?

In the notes accompanying GTN v6.50, I read:

What will happen if I have older software on the G600, d’y’all’reckon?

EGKB Biggin Hill

There’s a thread on this on beechtalk.com, panel talk, gtn6.50 released which also mentions this issue. Didn’t take much note as not relevant to me(but seems it’s necessary for vnav function)…. 6.50 seems good but rewire for altitude seems necessary for me(aspen)

Last Edited by PeteD at 18 Sep 07:53
EGNS, Other

What an excellent thread on BT!

I think the bottom line is that you can install GTN 6.50 and get its great new features, but that to get a VCDI indication for the descent you need either to install the latest Gx00 software (7.30) or wait for Aspen to catch up, which might be six months. There is a little snideness on the thread saying that Aspen falling behind is another reason to get two G5s rather than an Aspen, which is a little unfair as Aspen didn’t even know the feature was coming until Garmin announced that it was available.

I have now installed 6.50 on four GTNs on two aircraft. Although I have not flown yet, I have dragged one out of the hangar and had a play on the ground and there is some very good stuff, but the really big thing is the QWERTY keyboard on the GTN650. Gone is the dreadful double entry system, where you had to choose a part of the alphabet and then a letter, now you have a full QWERTY right in front of you.

The QWERTY is also on the GTN750, which is really great, but the 650 owners are going to be the ones jumping for joy.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Thought you’d like that!
Yep, the qwerty is nice, although even the “double entry” was an improvement on the 430 method(which works on 650 for diehards).
Also, not removing destination when loading approach until activated is a nice subtly, as are the shortcuts in flight plan.

EGNS, Other
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message