Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G1000 upgrade to WAAS/EGNOS: LPV, KAP 140, and capturing vertical path

This is a really horrible situation, due to both Diamond and Garmin screwing people into buying new stuff.

Assuming one keeps the existing autopilot (even a KAP140, which let’s face it, works) then one could develop an STC under which you would rip out the G1000 and fit in one of the generic boxes (in the old days a G500 or G600, today the TXI) and some generic engine gauges. Such an STC should be a few tens of k. The said box comes with an AML STC for many types and you would use the contents of that STC as approved data for a new STC. You would need someone with real proven expertise in that STC development line, not someone who talks the talk but doesn’t walk the walk when the 5 figures end up in his bank… I wonder what @wigglyamp thinks of this? The resulting STC would be valuable, especially as it would include some new metalwork (new panel) which you would sell for much more than the cost price.

There would be a ready market among all the FTOs which consumed the majority of the DA42s sold and who cannot fly LPV unless they sell their planes (which will be worth very little then, due to this issue, so you will be looking for mug buyers, of which there are very few at that level in GA) and buy a DA62.

Obviously, as with most things, the time window for this won’t be open for ever, because over the coming years these DA42s will be “recycled”. Some will be sold to unsuspecting buyers (who will be angry but won’t spend more money), some will go back to Diamond when the owner buys a DA62 under an unofficial deal (Diamond can refurb them), some will be scrapped, and some will live out their life with owners who really don’t need LPV / don’t want to spend yet more money.

Certifying another autopilot, without Garmin financial and tech support, would be lots of work…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

G1000 is not just the screens, but a lot of units, behind the screens, and in the tail of the aircraft.
Scraping seems to be a big work (waste) !

For information, GIA64W appears to reach the same price tag as GIA63W, around 11k$ each.
From what I ve been explained, Cessna and Diamond (and maybe others) should update their SBs/MK with those new units.
So, in the end, the initial price tag of 30k$ should not be that much « overkilled » :-)

What will be much more interesting, is too see if G1000 NXi is brought to the market as an upgrade.
I have been told that premium aircraft such as TBM850 and DA62 were already eligible to such upgrade.
Will type certificate holders move on this for more modest aircrafts ? Not sure at all !

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 21 Oct 20:36

I see the DA42 recycling market as a good income stream for those with the skills to exploit it, the basic airframe is quite robust and with the Telert engine ( or whatever it’s called this month ) having matured into a reliable and predictable unit an airframe teferbishment and Avionic upgrade would be the perfect way for the fleet operator to go as it would make an economic alternative to buying a new aircraft.

While such a project would not work for one aircraft if a number of flying training companies cooperated and could get a 10+ aircraft program on the run then the customer would start to drive the market.

Peter wrote:

and buy a DA62

I think at least NG (2009?) onwards, 42s came with W

Last Edited by Noe at 22 Oct 08:36

Of course, but the bulk of them was built before that (2005-2008 boom years). The same is true for DA40s, C172s/182s, etc.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

An interesting thread on DAN forum that could result with petition to Diamond to provide some upgrade path for older G1000 equipped aircraft (mainly DA42).

https://www.diamondaviators.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6643

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Late G1000 Cessna equals G1000 being part of the aircraft TC, so upgrades are no longer a Garmin but a Cessna issue.

Beech products have the same problem. No upgrade path as of yet.

Besides attracting attention of DA40/42 owners, the thread at DAN attracted the attention of Diamond’s management and I got promises they would deliver solution by the end of this year. Let’s wait and see what will happen. This is the opportunity for new management to show different approach to their customers than it used to be in the past under Mr. Dries.

Last Edited by Emir at 08 Nov 21:13
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Mooney had upgrades but they were viciously expensive.

Frankly, it I was shopping for a plane, I would run far and fast if it had an old G1000 (or actually rather any G1000) or it would have to reflect the upgrade cost in price. 50k is about the figure I hear, which is ridiculous and imho abusive. It is simply another clear sign that with the G1000 you are badly over the barrel.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message