Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G1000 upgrade to WAAS/EGNOS: LPV, KAP 140, and capturing vertical path

@huv
Would be interesting that you try again to select APPR after FAF during an LPV.

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

@huv
Would be interesting that you try again to select APPR after FAF during an LPV.

Not after passing the FAF, but just after the FAF becomes the active fix and the leg ending at the FAF switches to magenta.

KUZA, United States

Got it, the leg ending at the FAF.

The point is (probably) few non-WAAS aircraft have been upgraded to WAAS. So collecting facts is not easy !

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 08 Oct 15:53

Cessna (172-182) with G1000 and kap 140 AP will not engage the vertical guidance of the GPS LPV approach
(Diamond DA 40-42 with G1000 and KAP140 will capture the vertical guidance of the GPS LPV approach)
It’s up to Cessna to modify the NAV III (G1000) software

As far as I know there are no longer new GIA63W aviable from Garmin / Cessna or Diamond for WAAS upgrades
note:(exchange (repaired) units are no problem)

Thank you Jetprop for input !
It’s coherent with what I had read. People reporting integration in LPV were Diamond pilots.

That’s really surprising that Cessna did not integrate this behavior. Would have it requested more testing ?

What you say is right. A friend who has good link with Garmin, told me (he was astonished about the answer) that they could not provide GIA63W anymore.

I wonder how they support the units in service.

So we are back to my first idea.
It is all about finding two GIA63W for sell at a good price.
After that, upgrading is not complicated, with little to no modification to the aircraft. After all, it s fair to insist on the good sides :-))

I wonder how they support the units in service.

They don’t support them at all. They have new stuff and they support only new aircrafts. That’s what happens when you have monopoly.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

My understanding is that they continue to support existing units in service but are no longer selling new units, i.e. they continue to repair/exchange GIA63W units but no longer sell new ones and therefore no longer provide the ability to upgrade unless one switches to G1000 NXi.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

The GIA63w is no longer available, this is going to become a problem for the European flight training industry that is reliant on the DA42, previously for the modest sum of €30K you could get the STC to make the aircraft LPV able but with the withdrawal of the GIA63W this option has disappeared.

No doubt there will be another option emerge but it would be my guess that the cost will make the original €30K option look very reasonable.

A_and_C wrote:

No doubt there will be another option emerge but it would be my guess that the cost will make the original €30K option look very reasonable.

That’s good news :-)
Only place in the market where same technology (WAAS) gets more and more expansive other the years :-)

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Only place in the market where same technology (WAAS) gets more and more expansive other the years :-)

As I wrote, monopoly makes it more expensive.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message