Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory handling in Spain

An important filter for Spanish pilots is ‘bar’. No that’s not a tow bar.

https://www.aterriza.org/indice/

In fact I’ve found all the non-AENA fields we’ve been to on this site. And many more are still on my list.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Rwy20 wrote:

The last few days that online form hasn’t worked for me.

I paid yesterday and it worked correctly.

Rwy20 wrote:

The Spanish AIP is also wrong when it comes to slot coordinated airports, where the slot coordinator replied now twice that the slots are not managed through them but the airports.

Yes, I got the same reply and resent slot request to address indicated in e-mail.

Rwy20 wrote:

There are so many weird procedures that you can’t possibly manage as a GA pilot that chances are still high that you give up and pay some handling company to help you…

Well… I refuse to accept it if there’s procedure, it has to be described in AIP or NOTAM and I will comply. If it’s not described, then it officially doesn’t exist and I don’t have to comply. Weird internal procedures specified in some internal documents simply don’t exist until published. I know this sounds a bit idealistic and naive but this is the only way to make things less complicated. I guess US-based pilots can’t even imagine this level of bureaucracy. And when someone mentions that EASA regulations are complicated, I just pull out examples of coordinated airports, handling, slots and other purely national and airport authorities inventions.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It’s been mentioned before here, but when flying in Spain there are a lot of alternatives to the AENA-fields. Privately-run, customer-oriented. Of course the level of facilities offered varies wildly, but you can at least be sure that there’s no mandatory handling. Well, actually, no handling at all

This is a very useful site. On the top, go to the ‘mapa’ tab. You can then filter fields. An important filter for Spanish pilots is ‘bar’. No that’s not a tow bar.

https://www.aterriza.org/indice/

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

arj1 wrote:

When was that?

Quite a while ago, but reading @Emir’s report and hearing from others, nothing has changed. It’s a local mentality thing.

aart wrote:

Haven’t been there but looks like a decent field to me as an avid ‘AENA-avoider’. What complications?

Middle of nowhere at the end of a dirt road, you need someone to pick you up or drop you in the nearest village. Intensive paradropping activity and – at least used to be – necessity to fill in all sort of airplane owner’s details in a form that was only accessible if the local Flugleiter (yes, really !) was present. This may not be the case anymore, it was a local Guardia Civil thing as LEJU was used for drug running in the past. Otherwise a nice place.

@Emir

Paying AENA invoices online is nice time saver – it’s simple and hassle-free, especially at the airports where AENA offices are not easy to find or access.

The last few days that online form hasn’t worked for me. After clicking on “pay” the PSP page you’re redirected to gives an error (Error en dates enviados. Contacte con suo comercio.)

I hope they will repair it soon…

BTW I have an interesting experience to share from GCLA La Palma on finding all the offices after insisting to only pay the agreed minimum handling and being dumped in the middle of the process by Iberia. May post more in detail later.

The Spanish AIP is also wrong when it comes to slot coordinated airports, where the slot coordinator replied now twice that the slots are not managed through them but the airports. There are so many weird procedures that you can’t possibly manage as a GA pilot that chances are still high that you give up and pay some handling company to help you… that being said everyone has been friendly and helpful and they have plenty of time currently due to the unfortunate lack of commercial traffic.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 25 May 22:23

Haven’t been there but looks like a decent field to me as an avid ‘AENA-avoider’. What complications?

We’ve been to LEJU a couple of years ago and it was fine. The only problem we had was the location: it’s really in the middle of nowhere. One of the guys took us to the next village where we hopped on a bus to Seville, it took ages.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

172driver wrote:

LEJU (which has its own complications)

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

172driver wrote:

arj1 wrote: Can you actually get fast service in Seville?

Having lived and flown in the area for many years, the answer is – NO.

When was that?

EGTR

DeeCee57 wrote:

LEAM Almeria… my last visit there dates 2 years ago, prior jumping across the Mediteeranean to Mellila. Sevilla called me on my cell during my ground stop in Montpellier to warn me of the mandatory handling fee of €100. En route Spanish ATC repeated that handling was mandatory there. Gotta admit I got excellent service for a quick turnaround, gassing up, flight plan acceptance, visit to the facilities, all done in just about 30‘ ground time.

The last time I asked it was the case, you need handling on France & Spain from/to Mellila, the flight require customs on both ways
I found Almeria/Jerez to be pretty efficient for flights from/to Morocco, both 30min turnarounds with sub-50E bill

Fuel is always nightmare and expensive but it’s no longer an issue for me now as I got 100USG long range tanks to skip fuel in Spain
I still can’t fly straight from France without landing with family, we have to get out of the aircraft after 2h of flying

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 May 17:57
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

Can you actually get fast service in Seville?

Having lived and flown in the area for many years, the answer is – NO.

55 Posts
Sign in to add your message