Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory PBN training (merged)

tomjnx wrote:

The officially approved part is only 2D, so you still have to check step minima, much like a classic non precision approach.

“Officially approved”? By whom? At least here in Germany they have established several LPV approaches which can be flown just like any other precision approach. There are no “step minima” on the approach charts to check for. There is the usual table of altitude versus distance. It is certainly a good idea to use this in order to verify that your glide slope indication is correct. But the same applies to ILS approches as well.

In our commercial operation we had to do the theoretical part of the PBN-RNP-B/P-RNAV (and whatever else they call it) training a few weeks ago. We did it with an online training provider. For the practical part, the relevant approaches can either be flown in the simulator or on the real aircraft during an LPC or OPC. Alternative our authority allows to fly three “PBN” or (whatever…) approaches under supervision. Totally ridiculous as we have been doing that since 20 years…

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

“Officially approved”? By whom?

By your CAA.

what_next wrote:

Germany they have established several LPV

LPV is 3D. But LPV != LNAV+V.

But with LNAV+V only LNAV is officially approved, +V is an invention of the database supplier

LSZK, Switzerland
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

I wonder what the training syllabus will be?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It sits in AMC7 FCL.615(b). Unfortunately I suspect there will be a fair bit of ATO ‘gravy train’.

Fly safely

The very interesting bit will be whether an IRE can sign you off on an EASA IR revaliation, freelance.

Anything mandatory to do with the ATO business will be exactly that – a gravy train.

Is this mandatory training for GPS approaches also?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What does this mean for people flying an N reg with only an FAA Instrument certificate after 25 Aug 2018….while the derogation on the dual licences is still valid? And is it correct that it is no longer necessary to get an LOA from the FAA to fly RNAV approaches (in Europe)?

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 16 Jun 18:36
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Peter wrote:

Is this mandatory training for GPS approaches also?

I haven’t read it thoroughly yet but I think it covers anything to do with PBN, including the smorgasbord of LNAV/VNAV/LPV etc etc.

Fly safely

I wonder how it will affect the UK IR(r)

EGCJ, United Kingdom

The guy at the CAA responsible for this told me that they would try to avoid or minimise impact on IR(R) holders, but I don’t really see how they can permit them to fly RNP (ie RNAV) approaches in Class D without.

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message