Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Maule 180HP for towing gliders?

Hi,
i wanted to ask, if someone has experience with a 180HP Maule and towing. I searched a lot, but did not find real good answers. I know that the 235HP is very good, but it is not an option.

Thanks the help!

Regards

Tobias

EDNR, Germany

Can’t see a reason why it shouldn’t work.

ESSZ, Sweden

Well one reason would be a higher empty weight as a Remoquer or Husky. We have currently a Rally 180HP in our club, but the permormance is not the best (around 250 to 300ft/min) and also the insane prices and leading times from Socata are a reason we want to get a new tow plane.

EDNR, Germany

I believe Jacko does occasional aerotowing with his 180hp Maule. He could probably answer your questions

180 HP Rallyes work for towing. I suspect a Maule should do ok with the caveat you never go wrong g with more power.

Tököl LHTL

If you want a Rallye 235E with a tow hook let me know. Very few if any Rallye parts should need to come from Socata. Second hand market is very active for spares. Adding a CS prop to any aeroplane is night and day when it comes to take off/climb performance. The guy we bought the 235E off says he’s flown them all and there is no comparison.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

How much would it cost to add a constant speed prop to a 180 HP Rallye with O-360?

Tököl LHTL

I believe Jacko does occasional aerotowing with his 180hp Maule. He could probably answer your questions

Yes, and yes.

With the MX-7-180’s 30’11” wing and 31” Bushwheels climb rate is around 300 ft/min. Engine cooling is usually OK with some flap and the factory lower cowling lip modification.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

With the MX-7-180’s 30’11” wing and 31” Bushwheels climb rate is around 300 ft/min. Engine cooling is usually OK with some flap and the factory lower cowling lip modification.

Thanks for the info, so round about the same values I see with the Morane.

EDNR, Germany

Here in Italy aeroclub Belluno (LIDB) is using a Maule MXT-7-180 for towing gliders. It is OK.

LIDB LIPH, Italy
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message