Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Maximum outside temperature

Seeing this story which is going around right now

I wonder if it is not enough runway, or something else like air conditioning limits?

What about limits for out GA planes, and turboprops like a PA46T, and light jets?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EGTK Oxford

But why the limit? Is this related to engine limits? Because other than that, one could simply use more runway…

Biggin Hill

I assume avionics cooling. Hence note 3.

Last Edited by JasonC at 21 Jun 21:27
EGTK Oxford

I believe the main part of the problem is that the performance charts don’t exist above a certain temperature. So anything above is “unknown” territory in terms of performance so the airplane will stay on the ground.

LFLP/LSGL

Yes, when there is no performance chart for a high OAT then interpolating is not allowed, they have to have a chart – at least that is what I have heard about the Airlines. Performance itself should not be a problem.

I will long remember taking off from DAAT Tamanrasset (4,500’) at a temperature of 40°C in an HS125. Eventually we just decided to rotate and go into ground effect, on the grounds that the acceleration had become so little as to be threatening :-(

EGKB Biggin Hill

It’s really interesting to find out the actual reasons for these limits, not just that they exist.

In physics i.e. the world around us, a lot of stuff is directly related to the absolute temperature (in degrees K) where zero K is -273C, ice melts at +273K, water boils at +373K. So the difference between say +20C and +40C is only 20/293 i.e. only 7% which is not a lot but to humans it feels huge. Chemical reaction speeds tend to be exponential versus K but there isn’t much in a plane which involves a chemical reaction at the ambient temperature

I can see air conditioning systems might have very specific limits because the refrigerant may be unable to condense no matter how hard you compress it (and the compressor will have a very specific power limit anyway) and this will happen quite suddenly.

The other angle is discomfort. I recall departing from LEAX (near Malaga, Spain) in something over +35C and Malaga etc kept us below 1000ft for ages, and it was extremely uncomfortable for Justine. I was just about OK. This trip. The TB20 is like a greenhouse and needs no heating even at FL200 in sunshine and say -25C OAT. But the TB20 is nowhere as bad as some other types which have an all-clear roof.

That also leads to a need for a sun cover to avoid stuff getting damaged inside.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The last days we had temperatures of up to 36 degrees down here in Southern Germany, … very little flying. This was the time where my Air Condition paid off, otherwise it would have been un-flyable. I only hope it doesn’t break … (typical Air Condition repairs on a Cirrus are € 5000). It was so hot I didn’t even bother to clean the plane after flying but ran away to my air conditioned car …

Last Edited by at 22 Jun 08:11

At what temperature is ATC required to give temp as well as wind in the takeoff clearance? I recall it only once (Olbia Sardinia 42degC). Presumably required because of the performance limitations.

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message