Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Meaningless" accidents

This seems to be another one which nobody can easily explain, but may have been a simple mistake.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This one, rather close to home:

http://fearoflanding.com/accidents/accident-reports/the-sordid-story-behind-the-cork-fatal-accident-manx2-air-lada-and-flightline/

(Incidentally Manx2 changed their name to CityWing, and once again their website gives the impression that they are a licensed airline.)

Last Edited by alioth at 29 Dec 11:11
Andreas IOM

USFlyer wrote:

Accidents come from a chain of events checklists are intended to break.

Thanks USF, if I could find room on my panel for another placard, that would be the one.

Or maybe add it as a splashscreen on GTN650…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The first link is worth a read. The basic idea is that once people start deviating from “good practice” they then regard the deviated practice as normal.

I read about this a long time ago in a book about the space shuttle as the article refer to. However, there were nothing “normal” about the Space Shuttle accident, and engineers complained at first, but stopped after a while because they couldn’t prove an accident would happen. Many resigned due to the upside down view of good practice, but were simply stamped as weak because they couldn’t handle the risks and pressure of space flight, so they stopped resigning also.

The main fault with the space shuttle was that instead of a healthy “system” where new methods and improvements of obvious faults and weaknesses were scrutinized for safety and sound engineering, no improvements and fixes were to be done unless they could prove an accident would happen the next flight with the current solution, which of course is impossible to prove. Instead of the engineers doing what they do best (fixing stuff and making things work), they didn’t do anything except closing their eyes while signing off stuff they knew were trash, praying and hoping for the best. Fundamentally this is incompetence at the management level. Space exploration is not a wartime scenario were anything goes unless it is proven with 100% certainty to go wrong.

The same principle is (or was) at work at EASA regarding regulations for GA, only in a different scenario. They created a system with certifications and organisational approvals that serves no good but to kill light GA, because they somehow thought what is good for the airline industry must be good for GA.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

RobertL18C wrote:

Not sure if this Beechjet was on a charter or Part 91 equivalent, but let’s say the outcome was very lucky and not career enhancing.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/12/23/small-plane-crashes-into-snowplow-at-telluride-airport/

Telluride doesn’t have a tower – UNICOM only. Apparently nothing was heard on the UNICOM frequency. Aircraft was registered in Mexico so not really a Part 91 or otherwise situation. Essentially it was a case of not reading notams and not communicating.

EGTK Oxford

Josh wrote:

It does indeed, but Netjets is more like an airline than a typical AOC charter operation in their operant practices.

I’ve got three friends in the BizAv world. One flies as captain for NetJets, one for a small AOC operator in continental Europe and the third for a private owner. From what I hear the differences could not be more pronounced.

I wonder how they got an approach/landing clearance when the airport was closed?

Not sure if this Beechjet was on a charter or Part 91 equivalent, but let’s say the outcome was very lucky and not career enhancing.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/12/23/small-plane-crashes-into-snowplow-at-telluride-airport/

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Familiarity, laxness and over-confidence are killers in aviation. Checklists help. New pilots use them. Higher time pilots may forgo or skip using them. Accidents come from a chain of events checklists are intended to break.

Last Edited by USFlyer at 25 Dec 20:55

It does indeed, but Netjets is more like an airline than a typical AOC charter operation in their operant practices. TAG are also in a similar bracket – I imagine they make good business out of advertising this fact. I mentioned the M reg as people choose to register their aircraft there for good reasons. Cheap paper oversight and far less gold plating are among them.

The Bedford accident was two pilots who flew together on a private aircraft for many years under Part 91, which is a similarly light touch. It is easy to develop short cuts and lax practices with no formal oversight of the kind involved in larger operations.

A colleague of mine worked for a multiple aircraft G-reg AOC charter operation where busting minima to get passengers to destinations was the norm, set by the chief pilot.

My wife tells me it’s time to watch Downton though, so Merry Christmas and I’ll come back to it later

London area
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message