Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Medical - Class 2 and over 50 years?

I’ve been told that the new regulation changes the way we can renew our medical. Not only for pilots over 40 is it valid 1 year instead of 2 now, but also the end of validity is exactly one year after it is issued, whereas the former ones used to be valid until the last day of the month (2 or 5 years later depending on your age.)
Can you confirm this information? It means that if you don’t get your new medical on the very last day of validity of your previous one, it doesn’t even last one year!

SE France

As I’m about to go out to renew mine (EASA, Class 2), I’ll let you know a bit later!

You might want to check where whoever told you that got their information from…

Class 2 medicals (which I presume you are talking about) are valid for 2 years up to age 50. (Part MED.A.045).

And you can revalidate any medical up to 45 days before expiry. So if it currently runs to the end of the month, it will continue to do so as long as you revalidate it in this period.

New medicals, however (and renewals) will only run to the issue date instead of the end of that month, which is a bit strange since EASA has just changed all that to month end for ratings.

Biggin Hill

ECG is now every 2 years for over 50, so a little money saved.

Just done mine now. The EASA medical is valid exactly one (or two, age dependent) year, but you can renew up to 45 days in advance. Given that pilots tend to be memory challenged, the earliest date of renewal is even printed on the cert.

Under forty still valid for 5 years I think. (Class 2)

Last Edited by flybymike at 25 Nov 16:35
Egnm, United Kingdom

You might want to check where whoever told you that got their information from…

I got it second hand . First hand was alledgedly by an aeronautic physician.

To Cobalt and 172 driver thanks. The 45 days period was the information I was missing. It makes more sense now.

SE France

Class 2 medicals (which I presume you are talking about) are valid for 2 years up to age 50. (Part MED.A.045).

You’re absolutely right.
5 years up to 40 (limited to 42)
2 years up to 50,
1 year after 50.

Thanks for your answers.

Last Edited by TThierry at 26 Nov 07:03
SE France
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message