Meet-up at Alderney EGJA - May 2016

City with the University in the background

Going for a swim…

One of the last Reliant Robins

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Administrator

Have a super day. Don’t forget to take advantage of the cheap fuel too!

UK, United Kingdom

Thank you

I burnt 10 usg so the discount is not worth it

Administrator

Administrator

This was an outstanding trip and a great example of why one should never cancel until just before the planned departure time.

The 1200 MSLP as it is right now

yet the trough and the occluded front on it were basically fiction. We had blue skies, with a bit of haze!

Even this morning’s wx was very pessimistic

TAF EGJA 290622Z 2907/2915 04012KT 9999 SCT019

The metar was right on, as it should be
EGJA 290650Z 02011KT 360V060 8000 NSC 12/12 Q1011
and it stayed like that all day.

Some more pics:

This is where you end up if you don’t file the GAR form

Actually one surprising thing was how clean the place was. On the mainland, any fortification like this would stink of pee and much worse stuff.

They take safety really seriously – this is the airport fire station

Fuel is cheaper than on the mainland but you need to fly there with not much in the tanks to take advantage of it…

Last time I went there, also on a Sunday, almost everything was shut. Today was better – there was some sort of festival on – but still a lot was shut

Great food at the Braye Beach hotel

There are super beaches and views all around

I wonder what this was…

These horrible things were flying all the time – along with some turboprops, the only workable connection to the outside world. I wonder how they deal with bad wx… well the method is well known: scud running at 400ft over the sea

Just before departure

They really do need to cut the grass… any longer and it will reach the prop and then your plane will be covered in green cuttings which are extremely hard to remove (cost me £200 last time this happened).

Back home

Shoreham was very quiet… why? Maybe the haze puts people off?

A really brilliant high value day trip. 50 mins each way.

Thanks to SteveR and Aviathor. The rest of you missed out badly

Administrator

Looks like a fabulous day. Very jealous; you even met a puffin, I see.

PG

pg
PG
EGJB

Don’t make us drool with envy, please. At my homefield the fog remained forbidding till afternoon – and we had thunderstorms forecast for late afternoon or early evening. I made a daring sortie just before noon but could not go higher than 900’ even over the same motorway I had ridden in bright sunlight just two hours before. And I needed every memory I had of local VRP’s to find the way back to land.

Today was worse, even no thought of getting to the field. But Alderney remains on my “to fly to” list, more than ever.

Last Edited by at 29 May 18:11
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Very nice day, and obviously doable VFR for those who came from Britain, but I had crappy weather on departure from LFPT, at LFRK and half way to Alderney from there. Shortly after I got home, about an hour after landing, there was like an explosion outside which was actually thunder.

But a great day. Alderney offers beautiful sceneries on a day like this.

LFPT, LFPN

Alderney is really beautiful.

I do wish more stuff was open. Even simple cafes – tea and coffee and cakes and ice cream etc. It must be really dead for any young people who live there, and last time I was there one resident (definitely not “young” and lived there for 15 years) was complaining how dead it is and how much stuff simply shuts at weekends.

The property prices are low – similar to prices in the deepest and least accessible parts of Kent And an amazing number of houses are for sale.

There is no regular car ferry. Cars have to be freighted in.

According to one article, from a few years back, there were 2500 residents and 100 properties for sale!

They are trying to attract new people there but they need to start by making it a bit more welcoming. Not many people want to just sit by their patio door and watch the sea…

It would be great to spend a few days on it – having picked nice wx of course…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message