Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

MEL / AML lists

For flying privately (non commercial) a EASA register SEP(Land) aircraft do I have to have an AML or MEL list on board ?
Its the minimum equipment list(s) a.s.a.i.k. specifying equipment which have to be operational to be legal to fly.
I’m not very literate on the issue (don’t even know the exact wording that the initials refer to) and that’s why I ask.

In commercial / public transport operations for sure there are but I was wondering about Private Pilot flying non commercially.

LGMG Megara, Greece

petakas wrote:

For flying privately (non commercial) a EASA register SEP(Land) aircraft do I have to have an AML or MEL list on board ?

You don’t have to, but unless you do the aircraft becomes unairworthy if basically anything is u/s. Not that most people would care.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Under NCC I need an MEL for my specific aircraft. The FAA and I assume EASA also has MMELs which are essentially model MELs. These can be customised for your aircraft and approved.

It essentially says what you can do if, for example, a PFD fails in Greenland or a landing light is U/S and how long you have to rectify defects.

edited to correct to MMEL – my mistake.

Last Edited by JasonC at 05 May 11:48
EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

These can be customised for your aircraft and approved.

And who does this ? your maintenance organization ? and proceeds to who for approval, the local CAA ?

I refer to EASAland aircraft and CAA.

The aircraft I refer to is a Socata TB20.

LGMG Megara, Greece

No idea in Europe. In the US it is the FAA essentially same as LoA process.

EGTK Oxford

petakas wrote:

And who does this ? your maintenance organization ? and proceeds to who for approval, the local CAA ?

I refer to EASAland aircraft and CAA.

The aircraft I refer to is a Socata TB20.

The operator (you) prepares the MEL based on the manufacturer’s (or more properly – I guess – TC holder’s) MMEL (Master MEL). The MEL does not require approval.
The AMC and GM to NCO.GEN.155 have extensive information about this.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

For any turbine in FAA land you need to have a MMEL or MEL drafted and approved by the FAA. They’ll issue a LoA when it’s been approved. Follows the operator, not the plane, just like RSVM approval. I would guess this is the least followed FAR in the entire book of regulations. I would be very surprised if even 10% of the part 91 SETP or METP owners have this. Even big operators I’ve asked go “eh, why bother, nobody enforces it anyway”. I bet most FAA employees don’t even know it’s a requirement.

Under NCO, MEL is optional.
If you have one, you have to declare it to your CAA. Approval is only required for NCC

but unless you do the aircraft becomes unairworthy if basically anything is u/s.

Is there a reference for this?

All my flight training was done in planes full of INOP stickers, and all of them went through Annuals etc like that.

AIUI the mandatory items are what is in the TCDS (type certificate data sheet). If e.g. that specifies an EDM700 then that must be working. I am sure this, or something similar, is right otherwise (e.g.) most rental GA would be grounded immediately.

In addition, airspace requirements must be met so if e.g. the airspace requires 2 altimeters for IFR then both must work, else you have to fly VFR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I only know the FAA system.

Normally you need to comply with the Kind of Operation List (KOL) in light aircraft eg Day-VFR, IFR.

The MEL essentially replaces the KOL.

Under FAA (91.213) rules non turbine aircraft where there is no MMEL in place can rely on the KOL and pilot judgement. For small non turbine aircraft you can do that even if there is a MMEL (ie you can, but do not have to, get an actual MEL). In Adam’s case, he would be required to get an LoA and MEL (if his plane ever flew! :)).

An MEL and the covering LoA comprise an STC for the aircraft.

This AOPA article explains it.

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/pic-archive/operations/minimum-equipment-list

For example, can you depart in icing conditions without a wing inspection light?

The answer is in the FAA MMEL here: http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=M%20CE-510%20R1

Last Edited by JasonC at 05 May 15:57
EGTK Oxford
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message