Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Merida (Badajoz LEBZ), Spain, 2018

Peter wrote:

Welcome to EuroGA, Alpha_Floor

Hello Peter, thank you, most kind of you!

That is an IMPRESSIVE map of Europe. After my time building in Jerez I also did a map but it mostly only covered the Iberian Peninsula. Anyway, I wish one day I could have one like yours!

However, I am very proud to, in my low time of 130 hours, have flown to as many varied destination as I could, including Rabat and Tangiers in Morocco (GMME and GMTT), the Spanish exclave of Melilla (GEML), Murcia San Javier LELC, Madrid Cuatro Vientos LECU, Lisbon Cascais LPCS. All from/to Jerez LEJR. I realised I love this kind of flying as it gives you a sense of achievement when you land back at home after a round trip taking friends to somewhere far away, enjoying a day out, managing all the logistics like fuel, flight plans, etc, dealing with the weather etc. I kind of pitied those pilots who were time building by flying in circles locally around the airport within their small comfort zone. And many of these pilots who never took the challenge of flying longer flights on a light aircraft are now sitting on an A320/B737!

Hopefully I will slowly cover the map of the UK (plus also some destinations in France and Ireland as well)

EDDW, Germany

Welcome to EuroGA, Alpha_Floor

Yes Spain is really distinctive from the air. I never get tired of flying over the expanses of unusual and mostly uninhabited terrain.

And it was such a well chosen place for the 1960s spaghetti westerns…

I’ve done a fair few trips down there – some here – and it is a good place to visit just before the winter arrives in Europe because it is the last place to become unpleasant at the end of the year.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Very nice trip report. As a Spaniard, I enjoyed the scenery photos.
It’s amazing how apparent it is from the air that you’re over Spain. It has a distinctive colour and “pattern”.

The other interesting thing you notice when flying over Spain is, how uninhabited it mostly is. If you fly in a straight line from Sevilla to Madrid you find yourself overflying long stretches of emptiness.

I was going to say don’t fly all the way down there to end up in Badajoz, but too late. Obviously Mérida is a very nice destination for tourism. But flying-wise the Badajoz region is boring. A few more NM down South and you could have ended up in Jerez, LEJR, which is a much better destination both from the air and on the ground. Trebujena LETJ is a very nice airfield with a 800 m paved runway which will not charge nearly as much as Jerez for parking though.

EDDW, Germany

A little video of the departure, EGKA to LEBZ

Due to a screwup, the camera battery ran out after 2hrs so this is just part way into France… There was nothing to see on the entire flight anyway.

I might try to re-do the video with a notch filter on that whistle.

Administrator

I believe Peter was changed for one day of parking less – my parking fee was €60. Twin aircraft didn’t have any role in bill.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Strange… my bill was 84€, arrived later, departed earlier

But you’re flying a twin, no?

Strange… my bill was 84€, arrived later, departed earlier

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Total bill from LEBZ, TB20 1400kg, 3 nights’ parking:

Payable by credit card no problem, so previous (ex Skydemon) report was wrong. Since it was recent I wonder if that pilot even actually visited.

Fuel payable by AIR BP (I didn’t enquire about other cards) but it is clear that the fuel closing time of 1300Z is not applicable if you advise them you will be paying cash I don’t know what the cash price would be (it may not be lower) AIR BP billing is done centrally and I haven’t had the bill yet.

Administrator

“On top” if by far the best strategy

TKS is reliable and can get you out of the trouble but has its limits in time and severity of icing that it can cope with. Pitot heating is ok but stall warning heating doesn’t look as I’d like. This aera looked like bubble while the rest of the leading edge was pretty clear. Right wing was generally cleaner than the left one. Tail was completely clean all the time, even on minimum TKS flow.

The very moment you see that icing could be prolonged and/or you don’t like ice accumulation rate, you have to apply escape route plan. Radar and devices like ADL help a lot in searching for the route. Icing in convective weather is best to be avoided if can’t be topped – icing will be present in all parts of the cloud with sub-zero temperatures. When having icing in non-convective weather, there’s possibility that you can find IMC layer with sub-zero temperatures any yet little or no icing.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@Emir wrote:

checking DA42’s capabilities as platform and validating strategies,

Hence the conclusions ?

72 Posts
Sign in to add your message