Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

MGL Avionics Electronic Circuit Breakers

I’m thinking of getting this system for my (experimental) aircraft, mainly because it will simplify wiring and configuration by orders of magnitude. It should also in principle be more reliable than “old style” switches and breakers. According to the manual it will also work completely “dead”. What do you electronic-knowledgeable people think? Are there any major down sides compared with “old style”, or is this a genuine step up in terms of reliability and functionality in general?

http://www.mglavionics.co.za/ecb.html

http://www.mglavionics.co.za/Docs/MGL%20ECB.pdf

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I have used a different product, the VP-X from http://verticalpower.com/products/ no problem for about 3 years.

Norman
United Kingdom

Thanks. The VP-X is an alternative. Found a link at Vansairforce about this MGL ECB by Lamers (the designer). Have to have one of these.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I fail to see how this gimmick will simplify wiring, except that you save the wire from the power bus to each fuse/breaker. Precious little gain, I think.

And I also have some misgivings about anything electronic being more reliable than electromechanics – though high-end electronics have some chance of ending up more reliable than consumer grade electromechanics. They will then also be at least ten times more expensive, if only because of the lower production volume.

This gimmick replaces 8 breakers or 8 switches plus 8 fuses. Price comparison, please?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

You are positive today?

What you gain is solid state switches and breakers + fully configurable breakers in both ampere and “speed”. The mechanical switches are essentially digital inputs, there is no current going through them other than sensing. One single flat wire to all switches, no wiring to breakers, no breakers. You can connect it to EFIS also for both display and switch.

Honestly, I am not 100% convinced, maybe 90-95 ? but the reason is I don’t fully understand how it works. The VP-X has been on the market some time, and people seem to be very happy with it. The VP-X is much more complex though, more functions, where the MGL is more of a bare bone circuit breaker/switch kind of thing. Besides, I have ECB in my house (looks very different though, but still), I don’t think they even sell old analogue stuff anymore?

In SA the box cost US$ 275 and the switch package cost 68. At US$ 400 you have a full system with 8 programmable switches/breakers. Update, in the US site they are 425 for the box and 125 for the switch kit, so 550 for the whole thing.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

You are positive today?

Excuse me, I am only cautious. You may remember I fly on a tight budget so when something new comes up I am always curious, but the first questions are
-) what does it bring?
-) what does it cost?
-) is it worth it?

I fail to see the added value of configurable breakers. If your landing light requires a 10 amp fast today, it will not require a 25 amp slow-blow tomorrow, will it?

And, like with all new technology, long term reliability can only be judged after a long term. Which is one of the reasons so many planes still fly behind a LyCoSaur engine.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I can’t speak for this product but in terms of electronics…

• you can get 200A MOSFETs for a few €
  • if the current sensing circuit is well designed, it will be immune to nuisance (very short duration overload) tripping
  • current GA thermal CBs are of poor quality and have a limited life, often becoming more sensitive over time

Drawbacks might be

• poor design of the electronics (rarely one sees evidently clever people in GA avionics systems)
  • various single points of failure
  • PCB electronics are affected by moisture unless hermetically sealed, and vibration unless carefully built
  • the IDC connectors are CRAP – the connector is OK but the IDC wire termination is unreliable

If I was building an aircraft I would have a traditional CB cluster and use the best quality CBs one can get.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hello!

-) what does it bring?

A great reduction in wiring complexity and cable length (and weight). Instead of routing all cables, thick and thin, through the firewall into the cockpit to the breaker panel and out again to where the current is needed, this little box sits right next to battery and alternator and all cables go one-way only from there directly to the systems.

-) what does it cost?

Depends on how much you value the time that you save in wiring your aircraft. The cost may indeed be negative if your hourly rate is around the legal minimum wage.

-) is it worth it?

If I ever find the time to build my own aeroplane (hopefully) I will certainly install one of these. Keep it as simple as you can. My only concern would be that if that box fails big time (electrical fire or something similar bad) you lose all your systems together. So for me, an emergency bus that feeds the most important items (like COM 1, and instrument lights) wired conventionally would be a must.

I fail to see the added value of configurable breakers.

It makes the box cheaper to manufacture. Only one model needs to be produced and they are all identical when they leave the factory.

I don’t think that airliners (maybe the latest generation?) use these boxes yet, but the high end bizjets all have them. With a touchscreen in the cockpit from where you can “pull” the circuit breakers. I only heard once of problems that a Global Express allegedly had with this system.

EDDS - Stuttgart

These answers may all be ok for a relatively large and complex plane. Do you really intend to build a plane where the radio and instrument lights are the most important electrical equipment? It sounds like very ambitious, both technically and administratively. For most home builders, the electrical fuel pump will be far more crucial.

Another example is your assertion that the battery is on the business side of the firewall – on light or very light planes, the battery is often placed behind. Mine is just behind the passenger seat.

And no, if you start homebuilding you shouldn’t count the value of your hourly work, it makes any project economically insane. The only sensible way to go about is that the building is an enjoyable activity just like the flying.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I would have thought the battery location would be chosen to optimise the W&B envelope. It’s a damn useful lump of weight for doing that job. On say a TB10 it is on the engine side of the firewall, IIRC. On the TB20 it is in the luggage compartment.

But it’s a very good point that this device can avoid running excessive wire lengths. Not always true… again, in the TB20, the CB panel (by the front LHS person’s left leg) is right on the way of where the wires would go anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message