Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mid German overnight stop

There are quite a few German pilots on here, so I thought I’d ask for advise.

We’re flying back from Southern France (to Denmark) in a few weeks and will probably want to break the trip up in two. I’m therefore trying to find a nice airfield with a hard runway with a charming village/city nearby or a nice camping site (or both!). Any ideas are very welcome.

I have looked at Koblenz, but having studied there, it is all known territory and it would be great to explore other parts of Germany. If nice, we might stay for a couple of days :-)

EGTR

I’m no expert on Germany, but we stayed a couple of nights at EDTY Schwaebisch Hall. It’s a nice little town, and there is a camp site near by.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Tons of places which would qualify.

Land at Ballenstedt (EDCB) and stay at Quedlingburg.

Land at Mont-Royal (EDRM) and stay in Traben-Trabach.

Land at Mainbullau (EDFU) and stay in Miltenberg.

Land and stay in Gelnhausen (EDFG).

Further north, land and stay at Stade (EDHS).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I was going to suggest EDRG Idar-Oberstein for its restaurant, and for the gemstones museum and exhibits in town, but it is a grass runway. But doesn’t the same apply to Traben-Trarbach?

Along the Mosel river with its fine scenery you could, apart the (indeed ubiquitous) Koblenz, go for EDRT Trier – good restaurant though with time-limited kitchen service; and the city is famous for its Roman buildings. Disadvantage: it’s a fair distance from the field to the city; I think there must be a bus service, though.

But as said above, Germany is really full of friendly and enjoyable airfields, generally with good services.

Last Edited by at 11 Jul 07:56
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message