Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mile High Club aircraft

I've just seen this PA46 parked at EGBJ (Gloucester)

How does this work?

Presumably it is an A-to-A AOC. But the UK CAA have in the past refused these, saying that the pilot may get distracted...

I had a look inside and there is no curtain behind the pilot

Also the passenger seat layout is the standard 4-seat club configuration, which appears to be sub-optimal for the intended function.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sorry, but I see no link between the aircraft on the picture and the mile high club. Am I missing something?

SE France

One of the locals told me.

Don't get me wrong - I think it's hilarious

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They must have been holding a convention at Gloucester today. I also spotted G-LUST, an ancient, small Luscombe taildragger - probably even more sub-optimal!

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

N41518: Center, can you advise of an area with nice, steady, turbulence ?

;-)

Reminds one to carefully check the interior before buying a PA-46....

EGTK Oxford

I still think a 1970s Piper Seneca with red upholstery and curtains is the right ship for this mission.

Do you really need an AoC for that? AoC is for transport which means from A to B where A is different from B. A CPL should be all you need...

Sorry, but I see no link between the aircraft on the picture and the mile high club. Am I missing something?

I am not sure of the origin of the word (its not French then) but "shag" is a euphemism for the act that allows membership of the mile high club ;-)

Shag 2000 isn't the aircraft that belonged to Mile High Flights which gave couples the chance to make love while flying above the clouds for as little as £640. Mr Crisp came up with the idea in 2007 when one of his close friends landed a pilot's licence. He and his business partner ploughed over £10,000 into transforming a Cessna Grand Caravan single-engine plane into a flying boudoir.

Slinky upholstery inside the cabin is made out of fire-retardant materials to ensure safe sex at 5,280 ft.

But after just two years of trading, health and safety chiefs at the CAA have refused to renew the company's licence when the in-flight action became 'too distracting' for pilots.

Founder of the Gloucestershire-based company, 36-year-old software engineer Mike Crisp, accused the CAA of being prudish.

Mr Crisp said: "I'm not giving-up on what was a very popular business idea, because someone at the CAA doesn't like the sound of what goes-on in our plane.

"Joining the Mile High Club is something a lot of British couples dream of and we were providing the chance for people to fulfil that particular fantasy.

"In our two years' trading we had people from all walks of life wanting to join 'the club', from 21st birthday flights to 60th birthday ones. We even had one threesome.

"I am getting emails every week from couples who want to go up in the plane. It's a shame we've had to stop because of some prudish snobbery on the part of the CAA"

But according to the CAA, Mile High Flights couldn't give safety chiefs the assurances needed to be issued with a new licence to trade.

A spokesman from the aviation authority said: "We cast no moral judgments on what people do in their planes, that's not our business.

"Safety-wise, as long as all angles are covered we have no issue with that company trading.

"Unfortunately it became apparent that our safety criteria couldn't be met and the application was not passed."

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

He and his business partner ploughed over £10,000 into transforming a Cessna Grand Caravan single-engine plane into a flying boudoir.

It would have to be very "grand" for me to hand over £640 for that experience. Anyhow don't those Cessna's have little rear view mirrors on the instrument panel ;-) I do think the health and safety thing is a bit over the top, but if the CAA had a directors meeting about this, you can imagine they would all be fearing a press leak and then having to defend their decision to the Daily Mail or something.

33 Posts
Sign in to add your message