Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Minimalistic panel upgrade for "inexpensive" aircraft

AF,

it was done as part of a major upgrade of the panel but I believe the price was in the region of €3k. It was done by Avionitec in ZRH.

I guess Jesse here or Michal should be able to give you the current rate.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Thx @Mooney_Driver when did you have it done?

To upgrade the 430 to W it has to be sent to Garmin. The price, including an overhaul is around $ 3300 plus freight. Depending on what you have now you might need a new antenna and a new cable. You also need a new subscription from Jeppesen.

An aircraft I bought earlier came with two -155 NAV/COMs, only one with a glide slope, an S-TEC 20 and Mode S. My upgrade is a GNC-255 for 8.33 capability, and a second hand KL94 for PBN/B2 and LNAV approach capability – hope to get change from around €7k for the upgrade. Will also clean up some old antennas which may add half a knot of TAS.

A DME would be useful, although the GPS with the ILS approach loaded should provide correct situational awareness. The S-TEC 20 can fly a GPS flight plan, although you need to update the CDI for each leg.

The aircraft is fixed gear, fixed pitch so capability is light IFR up to FL100.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Finners wrote:

If you want to minimise costs, then you don’t need to get rid of the vacuum instruments, assuming that they work, of course.

I agree. It is an excellent other-source backup. A replacement vac pump will only run about $500 and an hour’s work, can be run to failure, and usually lasts 500+ hours. The only really valid reason to remove it is to reduce weight.

Last Edited by chflyer at 24 Sep 09:16
LSZK, Switzerland

As well as the 8.33 nonsense, I have also booked in to have a single G5 fitted in November but I’m told it is still not certified in EASA land due to a last minute hitch. Does anybody know what this issue is and when it’s likely to get resolved? I keep getting told it is imminent!

Also annoyingly the flush kit they announced months ago does not seem to be available.

United Kingdom

Alexis wrote:

The price, including an overhaul is around $ 3300 plus freight. Depending on what you have now you might need a new antenna and a new cable. You also need a new subscription from Jeppesen.

Thanks @Alexis.

This is what I came across recently as well…
All-in it comes out closer to 5k EUR

For that, I can spend another 3-4k and get an IFD440 (w/ Bluetooth, Wifi, Terrain and Antenna)
I’m very enthusiastic about the idea of having a BYOD as an instrument that actually syncs up with my autopilot. Killer app for me, as I do a lot of ‘random’ things in the air, like changing course to go look at waypoints along the way and stopping for passengers at random places, so rubber-banding is brilliant… being able to rubber band my autopilot would be the killer app.

3300$ is pretty much 3k Euros? So where do the other 2k come from? As I was told mine was converted in Europe somewhere where Garmin has a plant to do that. The changing of the Antenna is not a big deal either.

And of course, if you calculate like this that DOUBLE the price is already fine, then of course you should go for a new one, but that is not what this thread is about. How to do it economical…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

€ 3000 plus VAT, plus freight, antenna, cable, work …. 5000 is not unrealistic

The replacement GA35 WAAS GPS antenna is included in the cost of the GNS upgrade.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
Sign in to add your message