Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How far can you get in Europe without Mode S, and can ATC see the Mode S data?

As far as I remember an S transponder is required above 5000 ft altitude or 3500 agl in Germany. So when going lower no problem. When entering airspace C or D you´d better ask ATC if it is OK with them, you could be approved then. Vic
vic
EDME

@skydriller wrote “I believe that Mode S is required for Class C in France, but not Class D, right?”
I have tried to find the definitive answer on this. I know that mode S is required for all IFR as it was pointed out to me by ATC when someone had updated the G1000 wrongly.
All the club aircraft I have flown have been equipped with mode C as a minimum so and that has been acceptable for VFR in all the airspace classes in France, save of course for class A.
Talking to people without transponder, which I must say I have only met is 3 and they are Brits with aircraft on the G register and one of those being a Fournier motor glider have all said they have had no problems VFR in any of the airspace they have crosses. Mostly D, E, G.

France

My feeling is a transponder with Mode C will be tolerated.
No guarantee though.

always learning
LO__, Austria

At least there’s nothing in the AIP against it – for VFR in Class C/D you need a clearance anyways and I’m not sure if you get it w/o a mode S transponder – perhaps some Austrian friends can comment.

Just want to mention: I was actually surprised by your quote from the AIP. Last time I’ve been in Austria there was significant traffic in Echo w/o mode S transponder (can tell because I see it on the TAS…). So at least that rule does not seem to be enforced very strictly…

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

if you just want to fly and do no have an operational Mode S transponder, you must stay out of Class E

Thanks… but does that also mean flying in class C and D w/mode C only is fine? Looks like I can route at A030 via MIKOV, then Krems, climb A080, avoid Linz TMA from the south … and then enter LOWS TMA class D directly from class G?

EPKM, Poland

Mateusz wrote:

What do these Austrians mean by “in principle”?

This means that you need a Mode-S transponder in airspace E but exceptions can be made. So if you just want to fly and do no have an operational Mode S transponder, you must stay out of Class E. You might ask the competent authority for an exception (e.g. I’m quite sure you would get one if your transponder failed and you want to fly to the shop to repair) and it could also be that there is a specific general exception made e.g. if there is a flight event with historic airplanes, etc. But you can not just fly w/o one.

Germany

What do these Austrians mean by “in principle”? I flew a lovely trip to Salzburg LOWS mode-C only in Mar 2017… would someone from The Community be so kind to advise if I can still get away with that…?

AIP entry for LOWS is a bit more reassuring:

Will they want me to stay 900 AGL before entering LOWS CTR, so that I am out of E class? :-)

EPKM, Poland

gallois wrote:

In France you need mode S for IFR flights.Most aero clubs are still opersting mode C if flying VFR only, even in controlled airspace.

I believe that Mode S is required for Class C in France, but not Class D, right?

Last month I flew from the UK to Le Plessis-Belleville near Paris in an aircraft with mode A only.

Last Edited by Bathman at 06 Jan 23:00

Airborne_Again wrote:

Swedish ATC can certainly see the selected altitude if you have a mode S transponder. (I fly an aircraft with G1000+KAP140 where the altitude select in the FMS is entirely separate from the altitude select in the A/P, so ask me how I know. )

It is the same for UK ATC. I was slow (a couple of seconds to be precise) to update the cleared altitude in my altitude selector and ATC immediately asked me to confirm my cleared altitude.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom
129 Posts
Sign in to add your message