Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mountain flying and minimum distance to surface...

UK SVFR minimum inside CAS with an instrument qualification is 3k otherwise 10k (in the UK)

Isn’t that a limitation of the old (pre-EASA) national UK PPL?

SVFR outside CAS does not exist.

Not only that – it exists only in control zones.

Min vis for VFR outside CAS below 140 knots is 1500 metres on an EASA licence,

Yes, below 3000 ft (or 1000 ft AGL if higher) and if prescribed by the national authority, otherwise it is 5000 metres.

UK national licence VFR minimum is 3k.

Right. I think part of the confusion is that people are mixing up airspace rules and license rules.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

flybymike wrote:

My understanding, which may be incorrect, is that your understanding is incorrect.

You’re incorrect as well as far as EASA rules go. AirborneAgain is correct.

C/f SERA.5001, SERA.5005 and SERA.5010

Perhaps you are talking about an (old?) UK situation.

The basic visibility minimum is not 10 km but 5 km in all airspace below FL100. Above that it’s 8 km.
For special VFR it is 1500 m. In class G below 3000 ft (or 1000 AGL, if higher), the “competent authority” may allow visibility down to 1500 m.
I’m a bit concerned that this seems to be not generally known. It’s basic rules defining VFR.

My understanding, which may be incorrect, is that your understanding is incorrect.

UK SVFR minimum inside CAS with an instrument qualification is 3k otherwise 10k (in the UK)
SVFR outside CAS does not exist.
Min vis for VFR outside CAS below 140 knots is 1500 metres on an EASA licence, otherwise 5k (below FL100) and Min vis of 8k above that level.
UK national licence VFR minimum is 3k.
I won’t get into cloud separation here…..

I’m a bit concerned that this seems not to be generally known .

Egnm, United Kingdom

In the Alps, the 500 feet minimum is widely disregarded. But as long as you don’t hit anything and don’t repeatedly fly over someone, nothing will happen.

I’m sure there is more to it than that. The way you’ve written it reads as if everyone disobeys the law.

EASA SERA.5005 specifically says:

(f) Except when necessary for take-off or landing, or except by permission from the competent authority, a VFR flight shall not be flown:

(2) at a height less than 150 m (500 ft) above the ground or water, or 150 m (500 ft) above the highest obstacle within a radius of 150 m (500 ft) from the aircraft.

So, I’m assuming the Suisse competent authority has issued an exemption. If you want to fly in another country, you’d have to look up their rules.

Last Edited by Archie at 12 Jun 22:46

Yes, but does the minimum vis of 10k still apply to SVFR (without an instrument qualification) in controlled airspace?

That was a UK licence restriction, and not part of the rules of the air. I might be incorrect, but I thought that disappeared once licences converted to EASA licences? I suppose many licences in the UK aren’t EASA licence, and many people continue to fly under national licences there.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I’m a bit concerned that this seems to be not generally known. It’s basic rules defining VFR.

I cannot remember any of this stuff, ever. Just memorised it to pass the many exams.

IMHO the problem is that one doesn’t normally fly with a 10km long ruler sticking out of the front of the aircraft

And your in-flight conditions are visible to nobody else, except your passengers, or the pilot of the CAA-operated plane which is flying 100m behind you.

The only time somebody could get you is on the RVR – the “approach ban”.

Obviously if you and the plane are not instrument flight capable then you have to remain VMC otherwise you will kill yourself…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, but does the minimum vis of 10k still apply to SVFR (without an instrument qualification) in controlled airspace?

The basic visibility minimum is not 10 km but 5 km in all airspace below FL100. Above that it’s 8 km.

For special VFR it is 1500 m. In class G below 3000 ft (or 1000 AGL, if higher), the “competent authority” may allow visibility down to 1500 m.

SVFR with 10km is a UK specific abuse of special VFR unknown elsewhere.

SVFR is intended for those weather conditions where visual separation is deemed to be inadequate, but a non instrument-rated pilot can still safely control the aircraft.

So for the pilot it looks and feels like VFR, from a controllers perspective, a SVFR clearance is an IFR clearance. The controller needs to provide separation between all flights. In practice, that means no circuits, and a hugely reduced arrival / departure rate because in practice only one or two SVFR aircraft are allowed in the CTR.

It is a nuisance for everyone involved with no safety benefit at all.

Biggin Hill

Egnm, United Kingdom

flybymike wrote:

Minimum cloud ceiling in controlled airspace for a VFR clearance is 1500ft.

Yes, but not for a special VFR clearance. You would just have to fly under TMAs if the cloud base is less than 2000 feet.

30 Posts
Sign in to add your message