Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mountain Flying Malarky

Valid for 24 months and requirements are 6 landings.
Except for france and Swiss, are there any other “mountain rating required airports” in Europe, you know? Are can we find a list are something?

FCL.815 Mountain ratings
(a) Privileges. The privileges of the holder of a mountain rating are to conduct
flights with aeroplanes or TMG to and from surfaces designated as requiring such a
rating by the appropriate authorities designated by the Member States.
The initial mountain rating may be obtained either on:
(1) Wheels, to grant the privilege to fly to and from such surfaces when they
are not covered by snow; or
(2) Skis, to grant the privilege to fly to and from such surfaces when they are
covered by snow.
(3) The privileges of the initial rating may be extended to either wheel or ski
when the pilot has undertaken an appropriate additional familiarization
course, including theoretical knowledge instruction and flight training, with a
mountain flight instructor.
(b) Training course. Applicants for a mountain rating shall have completed, within a
period of 24 months, a course of theoretical knowledge instruction and flight
training at an approved training organisation. The content of the course shall be
appropriate to the privileges sought.
(c) Skill test. After the completion of the training, the applicant shall pass a skill test
with an FE qualified for this purpose. The skill test shall contain:
(1)a verbal examination of theoretical knowledge;
(2)6 landings on at least 2 different surfaces designated as requiring a mountain
rating other than the surface of departure.
(d) Validity. A mountain rating shall be valid for a period of 24 months.
(e) Revalidation. For revalidation of a mountain rating, the applicant shall:
(1)have completed at least 6 mountain landings in the past 24 months; or
(2)pass a proficiency check. The proficiency check shall comply with the
requirements in (c).
(f) Renewal. If the rating has lapsed, the applicant shall comply with the
requirement in (e)(2).
Vie
EBAW/EBZW

And some more questions: is here somebody with the French mountain rating? What school did you take?

I am considering the French mountain rating at courchevel. First aim was an airportrating, but a mountain rating is more complete and gives you more posibilities. My idea was first going there bye train, for the first 5 – 10h of the mountain rating. And hopefully this includes already the airportrating, so I can fly in for the next lessons. The airportrating in a C172 and the rest of the rating in a Jodel.

So, has anybody experience with this rating? Where you happy with it, was it overrated? Is it a difficult training (I only have one year my ppl)

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Not really any practical experiences yet, but I was in contact with them a year or so ago and their responses were prompt and helpful. They said they arrange their training as you like, i.e. you can do it all on their aircraft or you can do it all on your own or any fombination of that. You can even use an N-reg. they said, even though that is hard to believe.
But beware: bottom line, getting the full mountain rating will cost you quite a bit of money.
Also, unless you are “down there” regularly, it will be difficult to keep the rating current.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Were you in contact with aeroclub 3 vallees, Aéroclub du Dauphiné or aerosavoie?

I heard with 3 vallees, you can’t do the lessons with your own aircraft, but it seems a lot cheaper then the other (aerosavoie) and I heard a lot of good things about it. Dauphiné is not all the year.

You have to do the mountainrating within 24month and it is approx. 20h – so 10h/year more or less, is not that expensive (probabely less navigations will compensate it)

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

I talked with Aeroclub 3 valées. Seems we got conflicting information.

Don’t split it over two years. Mountain flying requires currency like nothing else (as reflected in the currency requirements for existing ratings).

Goh, it depends. I am still working + studying and I don’t have a lot of holiday, 20days a year, is all – So 20days within one year seems not realitstic, within two years is realistic.

Ok, I haven’t had any contact yet with trois vallees, it is what I read about it on other fora/ internetsearch. But you had contact a year ago, so your info will be more accurate and more important, it gives better options!

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

I heard with 3 vallees,

Ok, I haven’t had any contact yet with trois vallees

??

I think my English is a little mixed up with my dutch language ;)

I read the info about trois vallees on the internet. I contacted the club a few weeks ago (the contact form), but I didn’t get any answer yet.

In Dutch we say something like this: “I have heard, with trois vallees…” but I understand it can get a little confusing like this (when you are talking about them, instead of talking with them.)

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Vieke you want to be quite aware of what you want to achieve when you go for that extension. In Swiss (actually Switzerland, Swiss is the airline) there are only a few mountain landing sites and they are all glaciers. So unless you fly something equipped with skis it’s unlikely you get to use it. The few landing sites are under pressure of being closed down. You might find more utility in France where you have a decent number of unlicensed mountain airfields you can land on (if you have a plane that can take rough strips that is).

And don’t fool yourself thinking the main obstacle is merely getting it.

Anybody undertaken the LFTZ La Mole familiarisation training?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message