Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Moving from N-reg to EASA-reg, and EASA acceptance of FAA modifications

I agree, unlikely to be a straight swap, but no need for 14 written exams. You are right though there is some unhealthy fixation by many in relation to these 14 written exams. Somehow they think by not doing them the rest of the worlds pilots will be lesser in skill. Funny though most of them just bash question banks and learn the answers for these exams, no skill at all. And as we know the question backs are full of utter trash.

The concerns have been given to a couple of barristers today regarding all of this licensing stuff so I’ll post here if anything constructive is given from them in return.
Paul

It’s already very simple to get an EASA PPL/IR based on an FAA PPL/IR. Boscomantico described how he did it: http://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/4362-passed/post/72188#72188

Even when getting a piggyback IR, you have to do a theoretical test and if you want to get a real standalone FAA PPL/IR based on your EASA PPL/IR, you have to do a lot more than what you now have to do for the reverse. It ain’t that bad!

Yes the conversion to the EASA IR is not too bad now due to the excellent work of the gents at PPL IR who did a great job to really truncate the whole process.

Once you have your FAA IR and 50 hours of IFR (not IMC) flight, you can convert with just a check ride.

However, before that you do have to get an EASA PPL so that means writing the Air Law and Human Performance exams and doing the PPL checkride and paying those fees BEFORE you can do the EASA IR checkride.

So it is a shorter and easier path but in my opinion, it is still too much and there is not good reason why a simple paper swap should not be allowed. If you have flown 100 or 200 hours of IFR in europe, then surely you should qualify.

EGKB Biggin Hill London

Plus an EASA medical… nothing was done on PART-MED since the JAA IR, though there was back door ways for those with say one good ear (search here on e.g. audiogram).

Funny though most of them just bash question banks and learn the answers for these exams, no skill at all. And as we know the question backs are full of utter trash.

ALL of them bash the QB. Stay at any crappy hotel full of FTO students. They do it en-masse in the lounge. Funnily enough they also do the FTO homework en-masse.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes I forgot about the added cost and hassle of the EASA medical although several doctors will do the FAA and EASA at the same time so at least you can do it in one trip.

Peter, shall we start a thread on FAA to EASA license conversion?

EGKB Biggin Hill London

Yes I forgot about the added cost and hassle of the EASA medical although several doctors will do the FAA and EASA at the same time so at least you can do it in one trip.

IMHO it isn’t the cost of the extra medical that really significant (the two can be done together – I pay about GBP 200 for 2 x Class 1, most of which is the UK CAA one) it’s the fact that a % of pilots will not get it at all. There aren’t many medical conditions to which this applies nowadays but looking at how many pilots are flying N-regs VFR only in certain countries, on the 61.75, I think there is a lot of pilots affected. These pilots will be permanently grounded April 2016 unless they can

• use some unpublished concession
  • get an initial one in the Balkans
  • drop IFR capability and move to the LAPL (or NPPL in the UK – is the NPPL limited by the UK CAA to UK airspace and G-reg??)
  • drop off the EASA landscape (ultralights maybe?)

shall we start a thread on FAA to EASA license conversion?

Of course; feel free

It would be great if people started new threads more than they do currently.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I pay about GBP 200 for 2 x Class 1, most of which is the UK CAA one

Why would one do a Class 1 medical when not engaged in commercial aviation?

Ok but I dont know how to start a thread.

m

EGKB Biggin Hill London

but I dont know how to start a thread.

Select the desired forum section and click that link.

Why would one do a Class 1 medical when not engaged in commercial aviation?

No particular reason other that I “can”, and they can always downgrade it, but downgrading a Class 2 is rather final!

Administrator

Phobos wrote:

Thanks, I had a read of the treaty thread but no mention of ATP/CPL licence conversion requirements by anyone, I think perhaps they will be issued next year. Has anyone been in contact with the FAA person listed on the treaty to find out any more ?

Given the time it took to do the PPL/IR/SEP/MEP/night stuff, I would be stunned if it were that soon. I have not had any information that suggests that ATPL/CPL is even on the agenda yet.

Sign in to add your message