Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Moving from N-reg to EASA-reg, and EASA acceptance of FAA modifications

A TB doesn’t need an Export CofA. Search EuroGA for “klinka”. She can get you a special letter… assuming “she” is still around; if not you have a problem because IME the DGAC hang up the call immediately they hear English

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I managed to move one TB21 from N-reg to EASA (OK) reg. without Export CofA and without DAR but it took time (almost two years). So it can be done.

LKHK, Czech Republic

Going from N-reg, who do you need? Do you need a DAR? You won’t find one under a few k these days.

No. That would be a deal-breaker. Only an IA is needed for moving from N-reg.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What does an Export CofA involve?

Going from N-reg, who do you need? Do you need a DAR? You won’t find one under a few k these days.

STCs are not a problem; the Export CofA certifies the aircraft as ICAO compliant. More here and here.

The accepting CAA can object to what it likes, however.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

DanBlasier wrote:

Cheapest option?

Years ago I transferred C172 from N-reg to Croatian 9A registry (EASA) and it was below €300. I don’t know how much it is these days.

Last Edited by Emir at 03 Feb 19:58
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Cheapest option?

Belgium

Depends on the NAA, their fees vary (considerably).

always learning
LO__, Austria

What would be the approx cost to have an SEP moved from N-reg to EASA ?
Assuming no STC’s on the airplane

Belgium

This is not really my area of expertise, but I think you’re misinterpreting the TIP when you say:

So, all FAA Minor Alterations must be recertified by an EASA part 21 company!

3.2.7.1 and 2 are telling you what the normal processes for alterations are within the respective systems, and then what the process is for acceptance of these alterations by the other authority.

3.2.7.2 does not mean that anything has to be recertified: it’s actually dealing with the reverse situation, of how design changes on an EASA aircraft are dealt with by the FAA when that aircraft goes to the N-reg. It says the FAA accepts major and minor EASA changes, except those related to noise.

For FAA to EASA, refer to paragraph 3.2.7.1, which says EASA accepts FAA alterations according to 3.2.8(.2). They are accepted unless they are on critical components.

Last Edited by bookworm at 30 Nov 07:55

Peter wrote:

Has there been any update on this, @bookworm?

What is the current process for N-reg to EASA-reg?

AIUI you need an Export CofA which needs an FAA DAR and that is the biggest problem since there are very few over here and they are fully booked. Then you have to pass the local CAA inspection and that is the bit where a treaty on mod acceptance would be potentially very valuable.

Is there any way to do a “local CAA pre inspection” before de-registering?

The FAA has been known to de-register planes when the Export CofA was done and the owner may not be aware of this… it has happened

The export CofA is needed going N to an EU register. The DARs are busy but seemingly available. I assume you can always ask a local Airworthiness inspector to give you a view in advance for a fee.

The request for deregistration could accidently be filed after export CofA is done but I can’t see how the CofA itself could lead to dereg.

The main problem explained to me is to ensure that the aircraft is not deregistered before the export CofA is issued as you would then need to reregister with the FAA, obtain it and then deregister again.

EGTK Oxford
88 Posts
Sign in to add your message