Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

My green starboard nav wingtip light appears to have failed...

1) Does that make the plane u/s i.e. grounded? I fly day VFR most of the time.

2) Can someone direct me to a good source of replacement bulbs? (I bet @Peter knows the part number and three great supply sources from memory) It’s an old filament bulb and I’m happy to replace like for like. The main online vendors of pilot supplies (not maintenance supplies) don’t sell bulbs because there are so many different ones I guess.

3) Am I allowed to replace this bulb myself under EASA regulations or do I need to ask a man with a posh certificate to unscrew about six philips screws and swap out the bulb then do the cover screws up again? The plane is a G-Reg TB20.

Thanks in advance

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Howard wrote:

1) Does that make the plane u/s i.e. grounded? I fly day VFR most of the time.

Not for vfr day flying. For night flying the nav light is required.

Thanks PapaBravo. That’s good to know and sensible regulation for once.

Silly me has of course just discovered that the nav bulb itself is white not green, and is covered on my plane by a green (starboard) and red (port) coloured lens…the bulb appears to be part number ZOO.N7445771404 on my plane.

I still need to find a supplier and to discover whether I can fit the replacement. At least I now know that it’s not urgent.

Does the bulb have its serial number noted in your plane’s logbook or some such document?

IOW “what bulb”?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Howard can you post a photo of the wingtip light? On mine (TB20 GT) it is a standard Wheelen part, and there is a thread here about LED replacements for that one, and that has some pointers to the part numbers for the bulbs.

The bulbs are not coloured.

Forget the Socata Z00… part numbers

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ll take a picture when I’m next with the plane.(Thank you.)

Do you mean with the clear wing cover and green bulb cover removed so you can see the actual bulb?

H

No, just the outside. Is it this one (lens colours are wrong in the photo, I think):

Administrator

Hmmm. An old never ending, ever changing joke goes like , How many Swedes does it take to change a light bulb.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Well, that IPC page says all TBs have that type of light cluster which is a Whelen 600 range, and I see two of them at Spruce, here and here and the first of those has an exploded diagram showing the bulb part numbers, and a parts list.

I reckon LAS Aero sell these in the UK, as well as the usual firms like Saywell in Worthing.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Well, that IPC page says all TBs have that type of light cluster

I thought the pre GT models had a different light fitting?

Howard wrote:

Can someone direct me to a good source of replacement bulbs?

Different bulbs are required if you have a 12V or 24V aircraft.

Early TB20’s had this fitting

EGLK, United Kingdom
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message