Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

myWingMan from BendixKing/Honeywell for Europe now

"the European country of Germany ... with more European countries possibly to follow".

Wow, what a bold move, I'm sure Jeppesen are scared already and preparing to slash their prices 80% trying to save their company against that new competition.

sigh

if Jeppesen would sell their keys separately - I only need one - they already had a 75% self-contained price reduction

EDxx, Germany

We come back to here

I think lots of people already split it 4 ways. Unfortunately it is still expensive - Europe is then about €500/year.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

http://www.seattleavionics.com/Documents/EUChartsCoveragePublic.pdf

please bear in mind that the coverage is not full

I'd like to see some sample charts.

Not saying for a moment it can't be done. It's just a huge amount of work to generate these initially and then to keep them up to date.

One might assume that special-purpose CAD tools are used to draw these things, but I can't see a terminal chart taking much less than a few hours to knock up, and that is just one page, and a simple one. And that assumes you are just copying the AIP plates, without doing any "thinking".

The only similar effort I recall are the GCAP plates, which were marketed "for IMCR holders" and cover a very limited area.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

since today Bendix-King EFB for the Ipad "mywingman" is available for download from the app store with European IFR and VFR charts (at present only Germany - tribute to AERO 2013). Download is free for a couple of weeks to check it out. May be interesting for those who fly to Friedrichshafen.

EDxx, Germany

I've given it a quick try.

The airport charts are from Eurocontrol and Seattle Avionics. The VFR map is from Jeppesen. So far only Germany. I wonder whether the Seattle Avionics charts will be a reliable source. The Jeppesen are reliable because they have so many users and errors are spotted and reported back. If Seattle forget about a hill or get the course wrong, they will probably learn about it when investigators tell them that their chart is the reason I'm no longer alive...

I noticed that when you run the data updates to load the first data base, make sure to switch the rulers to OFF that say "only download new or changed diagrams" otherwise it will only get part of the data. A bit strange is that the download shows 826 airport diagrams being loaded but actually it only shows diagrams of the major airports ... most probably until you've paid your fees to Seattle Avionics. Free version is the lean version.

EDxx, Germany

with today’s update of Bendix-King “myWingman” (EFB) I got all European IFR and VACs, all geo-referenced as far as I checked, although I bought only Germany (started in April 2013 with AERO Friedrichshafen).
Nice Christmas present

EDxx, Germany

But how good is the coverage now?

Sign in to add your message