Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

N-reg aircraft and European / EASA licenses / licences (merged)

The simplest solution by far is to find somebody with FAA papers and put them as a named person on the insurance and have them fly with you in this trip. That person would log it as PIC.

If the person is an instructor (FAA CFI or CFII) then your insurance may well automatically cover the flight as an instructional flight. Most UK policies have such a clause, for example.

Otherwise there is no other way.

Forget EASA-reg. It would be a can of worms. I met somebody the other day who moved an SR22 N to EASA and it took months, and that was despite him using a company which was supposed to be very familiar with it.

In due course you will need to get yourself FAA papers – at least a 61.75 validation. Flying such a type within one country in Europe is very limiting.

If you go the 61.75 route then you can get an FAA IR and fly on an EASA medical. If you go the full FAA PPL route then you will need an FAA medical.

In due course you will need equivalent EASA papers anyway – here.

Then you get onto the long-term outlook. You will need maintenance so you will need an A&P/IA who you can trust, and then local politics comes in, depending on whether you have a hangar in which he can work, etc, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks both

Yes, intention is to go FAA IR. so medium term this is no problem. Will have FAA papers within a couple of weeks or so. Just not fast enough for this trip.

The trip is about the trip rather than the movement of the aircraft / people. I know a great pilot who could legally get it there, but I’m just trying to organise me being able to do it if possible.

Nobody dies if it doesn’t work out, I just don’t like to give up, so thought I’d ask the question! :)

Thank you anyway. I suspected this would be the answer!

Cheers!

I might be available depending on the timing… FAA CPL/IR 1800 hours and current in SR20’s and 22’s and 22T’s (6-Pack, Avidyne and Perspective)

H

Thank you, Pilot-H

As explained though, I don’t need the aircraft / people moving. I can sort that out. My question is about license legalities, etc.

DBS, I’m confused: unless you just bought an airplane off eBay on a whim, you must have known for at least a month or two that you would need an FAA licence to fly an FAA registered airplane anywhere except in your home country….the only option is for someone with the required licence (and SR22 experience) to fly it for you…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

LOL. I don’t NEED to fly this aircraft on this trip. I would just very much like to. I don’t think I’ll be able to, so I’ll fly it next time in about a month. It’s just timing.

Update!

Just about to set off in my shiney new aircraft, with all my FAA papers intact.

FAA and CAA were both incredibly helpful and essentially turned everything around in three days. Tom Hughston was also extremely accommodating. And Simon Coombs (FI / Cirrus instructor) was also extremely helpful.

Like I say, I don’t like to give up! There’s almost always a way! :)

Well done… the CAA / FAA licence validation process has certainly improved!

Don’t forget the FCC…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

AnthonyQ wrote:

the CAA / FAA licence validation process has certainly improved

I can confirm that from recent experience of a friend who needed to redo his validation. The whole turnaround time of the CAA validation, FAA issuing the verification letter and getting a FSDO appointment took three days! Now that you can send everything via e-mail, that seems to greatly improve the process.

FAA and CAA were both incredibly helpful and essentially turned everything around in three days. Tom Hughston was also extremely accommodating.

He should given what he charges

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message